Menu

Please help me choose the right high school program

You would think by this time I would know what I was doing. :tongue_smilie: While our current year is going extremely well, I don't think I will use SL for high school again. I have to start deciding now which high school path dd13 (14 next month) will be taking next fall because we make our purchases in the spring. I worked myself to death with our oldest, creating personalized courses for her artistic/science bent with a blend of traditional texts and living books, using some SL, BJU, Oak Meadow, CLP, and WTM. With dd18, she and I geared her high school toward her philosophical/literary/ bent with tons of books and meshed programs like TOG, WVWW, SL, WTM, etc. Now I really need to be organized and prepared for dd13, who is a very creative, excellent student with perfectionist expectations. ;) She is extremely talented with crafts, home arts of all descriptions, and I don't mean making pancakes or houses with popcicle sticks...but sewn wardrobes and weaving and gourmet meals and 'wow, that kid can reproduce anything she sees and make it better' sort of student. She has expressed some interest in majoring in Home Economics in college, but that may change so I need her to be well prepared for anything. What on earth will I use? She is strong in math, enjoys rigor and challenge, and works well independently as well as with her sister. I also have to decide whether to keep her learning alongside her younger sister (TOG?) or move her into an entirely different, separate program (MFW?). There must be amazing programs that I have not considered yet. Please share your thoughts because they are valuable to me. :)

Thanks, Greta. I did use Ambleside many years ago, and still borrow from their book list, but honestly I seem to lack the confidence and scheduling ability to pull it off in the upper grades. I love schedules and 'guidance' that I can take and use or ignore as I see fit. :D I will take another look at it this afternoon. Blessings~

Another vote for Ambleside Online, they have a great high school program and I highly reccommend it. I also am going to be using Notgrass for History, English, and Bible, and then I will be using a few other things that I mixed together like Lial's (with Jann in TX), and ACT prep.

Thank you, Cheyenne. I appreciate hearing your experience. Maybe I should just roll up my sleeves and create high school program #3, including Ambleside. I have been looking at it and liking what I am seeing. Blessings on your future plans of college and nursing. :)