Menu

Michael Clay Thompson LA questions

Julie in MO

Hi,

I'm considering using this for my 13 year old. We've tried Shurley English and Analytical Grammar and neither are working for her particular learning challenges. I'm intrigued by MCT. I like how the system links together. I'm a tad confused about what level to start her at. I know Cathy Duffy recommended starting at the beginning no matter what grade one is in, but my DD will balk if the content is too child-like. Oh, it's so hard to buy curriculum sight-unseen!! I have spent the last several hours perusing this website as well as MCT's.

Also, do I need to purchase the teacher's manuals with each book?

I would really appreciate some help. I highlighted my questions to make it easier to respond. :001_smile:

Thanks!!!

Julie

Given that my children are much younger, I can't address your first question (I am not well acquainted with the interests of a teenagers). However, as to your second, so far with the Island level, we just purchased the TMs and that's been totally fine. That's my plan when we get to the next level as well.

They sell what is called a homeschool package which includes all the TM's and some student books. They say it is all what is needed to do the program but that if you want to each have separate books of each then you need to order the deluxe package. I have not used it yet so can't tell you about what level to use. I did just order the first level and it does look like a 13 year old might be a little put off by the story line.

are rather indistinct (had several hours of educational testing done and still no definitive "answers"). Certainly she excels in concrete subject areas and struggles in abstract ones. I am a very structured person so I don't think it's lack of structure. We just haven't found something for language arts that fits her unique learning style. I got some good advice on the board and will likely call the MCT rep tomorrow. I really appreciate the people on this board! Thanks so much.

Blessings,

Julie