Menu

Calling All CW experts!! Placement/Combo Questions

amandajh

I've spent a large amount of time on the CW site, printed the scope and sequence, and looked at samples,but am still not sure about placement.

DD 11 is almost done with FLL4 and is halfway through WWE4. She is very good with narrations, excellent at spelling, but not so hot with parts of speech and diagramming.

DS 9 is almost done with FLL3 and is almost done with WWE2. He is equally good at narrating, not so hot with spelling, and so-so with parts of speech and diagramming.

(We also use Spelling Power)

Neither of them have ever outlined anything! Neither of them enjoy WWE or FLL, and both of them love, love, love to write their own stories/books, so creative...they are!

I am wondering:

1. Could they be taught together using the same level?

2. Do we need to begin with Aesop A or will we miss anything beginning with Homer? Would my younger do okay in Homer?

3. Am I right in thinking that I would choose their spelling words, dictation/copywork, and they would use a separate grammar program???

Hmm....I think that's all.

Personally, I would place your oldest in Homer A and your younger in Aesop B. My 11 year old dd is currently doing Homer A and she finds it tough (as all of my children have). I do not think that you can get to the meat of the program with a child much younger.

Parts of speech/diagramming are covered throughout Homer. I think your daughter would be fine.

My 8 year old 3rd grader is in the middle of FLL3 right now, and I know he would not be able to handle the workload of Homer.

Aesop has suggested spelling words from the weekly model and both Aesop and Homer have copywork/dictation assignments. We have always used the recommended Harvey's Grammar beginning with Homer.

HTH,

that is helpful!

Would it be okay for me to put my older in Homer and let my younger continue with WWE & FLL until in 5th grade and then start him out with CW in Homer too??? Would there be any advantage to putting him in Aesop?

I am thinking of using this (for the most part) because all the levels of SWB's program is not yet written...that bothers me since I like to have a good plan.

To sum up all of my rambling:

Would it work out okay to use WWE & FLL until 5th grade and then switch to Homer?

Personally, I would place your oldest in Homer A and your younger in Aesop B. My 11 year old dd is currently doing Homer A and she finds it tough (as all of my children have). I do not think that you can get to the meat of the program with a child much younger.

:iagree:

To sum up all of my rambling:

Would it work out okay to use WWE & FLL until 5th grade and then switch to Homer?

Yes. This should work fine.