Menu

AAS and A&P together?

I'm in the same boat. After using AAS for a year with no improvement for my DD, I have started her with A&P to see how it goes. When she got tested they found that she had phonetic dyslexia for reading, but visual dyslexia for spelling. So, right now my plan is to continue with A&P to see if that helps with the spelling portion, and use the AAS phonogram cards and letter tiles with Recipe for Reading (though if it weren't so expensive, I would have just gone through the AAS books quicker) for reading.

If that doesn't work, we will probably go back to just AAS and get Seeing Stars to help with the visualization portion.

I use Recipe for Reading (Orton-Gillingham manual) with Apples and Pears.

I drill the phonograms using the cards. We use RR for analysis purposes and A&P for the morphological and pattern approach. I break one A&P lesson over a week. We have had to go back and redo a section many a time to get some things to stick. I See Sam readers are just great for fluency. I use them to fill the requirement that SAlly Shaywitz talks about in Overcoming Dyslexia. In the evening we do more read alouds. Currently my dtr is reading Sarah Plain and Tall. She is up to a chapter a night. Here I just correct any misreading and don't overteach.

I am so thrilled with how far her reading has come.. I am taking my time with spelling:D.