Menu

TOG Writing Aids??

wehave8

After you've decided which level to place your dc in, is there a daily or weekly lesson plan to follow, or do you have to decide which writing assignment you want to give and when? It's hard to tell by looking at the samples, unless I've missed it.

Somewhat. :glare: There isn't anything that shows Day One cover ABC, Day Two DEF, etc. The block in the Tapestry curriculum itself tells what should be covered for the week.

Since I don't know the ages of your kids I'll just pick an example from a mid-elementary level. Level 4 for Week 5 of Year 2 says to:

• practice taking dictation 3x
  • learn about the 4 basic genres of paragraphs (it then lists them)
  • learn how different graphic organizers help with pre-writing
  • choose 2 topics and prewrite for them using graphic organizers. The topics listed are: What would it be like to be a Viking family, Explain what happened when a warrior died, Narrate what took place during a Viking raid, and "Be" a citizen of Sweden and persuade your neighbors to go "a-viking."

When you purchase Writing Aids you get a book that is more a like a teacher reference book. It is not a lesson plan book. So for the above lesson you would look at the various graphic organizers and decide which ones work with which genre. The graphic organizers are all shown in the back of the Writing Aids book.

You would also review the page titled genres to see what you need to cover with your student. There is a corresponding genre page on the Writing Aids disc that you would print out for the student. The idea is that the student follows along on his sheet as you cover the material. Then he keeps it for reference as he works the assignment.

I started using Writing Aids for the first time with my 8th grader this year so I am no expert. I wish I had known how much direction I need from the writing curriculum itself. I need more "hand holding" than I'm getting from WA. This may be something you will want to consider as well.

Somewhat. :glare: There isn't anything that shows Day One cover ABC, Day Two DEF, etc. The block in the Tapestry curriculum itself tells what should be covered for the week.

Since I don't know the ages of your kids I'll just pick an example from a mid-elementary level. Level 4 for Week 5 of Year 2 says to:

• practice taking dictation 3x
  • learn about the 4 basic genres of paragraphs (it then lists them)
  • learn how different graphic organizers help with pre-writing
  • choose 2 topics and prewrite for them using graphic organizers. The topics listed are: What would it be like to be a Viking family, Explain what happened when a warrior died, Narrate what took place during a Viking raid, and "Be" a citizen of Sweden and persuade your neighbors to go "a-viking."

When you purchase Writing Aids you get a book that is more a like a teacher reference book. It is not a lesson plan book. So for the above lesson you would look at the various graphic organizers and decide which ones work with which genre. The graphic organizers are all shown in the back of the Writing Aids book.

You would also review the page titled genres to see what you need to cover with your student. There is a corresponding genre page on the Writing Aids disc that you would print out for the student. The idea is that the student follows along on his sheet as you cover the material. Then he keeps it for reference as he works the assignment.

I started using Writing Aids for the first time with my 8th grader this year so I am no expert. I wish I had known how much direction I need from the writing curriculum itself. I need more "hand holding" than I'm getting from WA. This may be something you will want to consider as well.

Thank you. I am beginning to put a few pieces together.

BTW, my dss that are still at home are ages 4, 6, & 8. Looks like I'd pick level 1 for them.

Pam

For my LG, I usually pick Level 1 or 2. I just schedule it out the same way I do everything else for TOG, since they don't provide a schedule for anything. To "teach" writing I use the info sheets in the WA book (which are also in PDF if you have DE).