Menu

Is anyone else finding errors in the TM of CPO Physical Science?

We are using the Foundations of Physical Science book, and yes, we have found some errors. Dd is finishing cp. 6 now, and I'll estimate that we've found about 5-6 so far. I stopped keeping track after the 2nd or 3rd one. Dh is a mechanical engineer and does experiments with dd. The mistakes in the book have been confusing enough that we don't fully trust the text when something looks suspicious. Dd just marks that place in the text or the question she's working on and asks her dad about it when he gets home. At least this provides food for conversation, and they have had really interesting physics talks because of the mistakes. The mistakes are certainly disappointing, though. We have found errors in both the student and teacher's books.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

Can you state the errors w/ page numbers so I can check as well?

Thanks,

We're doing the DIVE CD with this, so the first thing that caught my eye was the correct vs. incorrect explanation about the relationship between a hypothesis, theory, and law (p. 25 of TM). I have a master's degree in nutrition science, and the "incorrect" explanation was actually how I was taught about this relationship. DIVE also explained it this way. What do you think?

2.2 Section Review (p. 38 TM) #7 TM answer: 480 km, Dd's answer: 960 km

Chapter 2 Assessment Section 2.2 (p. 39 TM) #8

TM answers: a) v=d/t b) d=v x t c) t=d/v

Dd's answers: a) t=d/v b) v=d/t c) d=v x t

OK, Capt, check your answers and tell me if I'm off my rocker :confused: or correct in what I've found.

Thanks,

Jennifer

We are using the Foundations of Physical Science book, and yes, we have found some errors. Dd is finishing cp. 6 now, and I'll estimate that we've found about 5-6 so far. I stopped keeping track after the 2nd or 3rd one. Dh is a mechanical engineer and does experiments with dd. The mistakes in the book have been confusing enough that we don't fully trust the text when something looks suspicious. Dd just marks that place in the text or the question she's working on and asks her dad about it when he gets home. At least this provides food for conversation, and they have had really interesting physics talks because of the mistakes. The mistakes are certainly disappointing, though. We have found errors in both the student and teacher's books.

Sweet home alabama, I don't really want to say that I'm glad you've found errors, but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. Everyone has highly praised the CPO series and I've never seen anything mentioned about errors. Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I don't expect to find more than 3-4 errors in any textbook. In all my college texts, it was rare to find more than 3-4 errors. At the rate we're going, we're tallying up quite a few. This really bugs me, but I won't go off on a rant... Anyway, I'm thinking regentrude's recommendation to use college texts is looking more appealing to me everyday.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Sweet home alabama, I don't really want to say that I'm glad you've found errors, but I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. Everyone has highly praised the CPO series and I've never seen anything mentioned about errors. Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I don't expect to find more than 3-4 errors in any textbook. In all my college texts, it was rare to find more than 3-4 errors. At the rate we're going, we're tallying up quite a few. This really bugs me, but I won't go off on a rant... Anyway, I'm thinking regentrude's recommendation to use college texts is looking more appealing to me everyday.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Jennifer, the errors are unfortunate, but the talks they have inspired between dd and dh have made up the difference. I don't know what we would do without dh's knowledge of physics.

Dd has a heavy load (for her) this year, and my goal for her with this physical science is waayyy more for exposure than for grades. She is using this science to continue practicing using a textbook, and she works through most of the math problems in the CPO text too. Dh is working through many/most of the labs with her... so some of the pressure to make a certain grade is off. I have the book scheduled out, so she's pacing herself to work on schedule.

Just recently The Teaching Company had Physics in Your Life on sale, and I bought those lectures. I haven't decided if she should see these as an 8th grader (with physical science physics) or to try to use them as a 9th grader with a year-long physics course.

Funny you mentioned Regentrude's recommendations... I just bought used copies of the Knight, Jones, and Field physics book (algebra based). They have not come yet. I'm trying to have something lined up for physics, chemistry, and biology for 9th grade science because I'm not sure which direction we will go first. The physics first approach sounds like a wise choice to me.

Jennifer, the errors are unfortunate, but the talks they have inspired between dd and dh have made up the difference. I don't know what we would do without dh's knowledge of physics.

Dd has a heavy load (for her) this year, and my goal for her with this physical science is waayyy more for exposure than for grades. She is using this science to continue practicing using a textbook, and she works through most of the math problems in the CPO text too. Dh is working through many/most of the labs with her... so some of the pressure to make a certain grade is off. I have the book scheduled out, so she's pacing herself to work on schedule.

My goals are for exposure, too, as well as using/outlining a textbook and listening & taking notes from a lecture (DIVE). So far so good!

Just recently The Teaching Company had Physics in Your Life on sale, and I bought those lectures. I haven't decided if she should see these as an 8th grader (with physical science physics) or to try to use them as a 9th grader with a year-long physics course.

I saw these and wondered the same thing. Once you review these lectures, let me know what you think. I've also considered viewing some of the khan academy videos. DIVE only highlights topics, so we may need more help. My forte is chemistry, biochem, biology, & anatomy/physio. I've never had physics and unfortunately don't have the luxury of a dh with a background in physics. LOL!

Funny you mentioned Regentrude's recommendations... I just bought used copies of the Knight, Jones, and Field physics book (algebra based). They have not come yet. I'm trying to have something lined up for physics, chemistry, and biology for 9th grade science because I'm not sure which direction we will go first. The physics first approach sounds like a wise choice to me.

I'm very interested in your assessment of the Knight text and I'm debating whether dd should do physics or chemistry next year. My dd really needs a very readable text with sample problems worked out and an organized format that lends itself well to outlining. (Outlining helps her focus because she is easily distracted.)

Thanks for your comments!

Jennifer