Menu

WWS is changing everything

Hi all,

There was a thread a few weeks ago about how doing WWS changes the way you do WTM history. You just can't expect the same level of outlining, narrations, summaries, etc when you are doing WWS. At first, this was a frustrating, "what do we do now?" experience, but now I'm starting to think of it as an opportunity. I will continue to do our chronological, world history, time line, logic stage approach, but I realize that we could maybe have a little more fun with it. Maybe more of a unit study approach. We're on 1600-1850, with a heavy emphasis on US history. I'm thinking of a unit study on pirates (reading Treasure Island) and later a look at slavery, focusing on some big issues there.

Any ideas about having fun with history? Meaningful projects? This has just opened up a whole new way of thinking about it.

BTW- I am loving WWS. My DS, reluctant writer, is producing some really nice work.

Amy in NC

I am also doing WWS and 1600-1850. I decided to drop the narrations for history too. We read the story from SOTW and answer questions, do the map work, mark the timeline, read extra books and then do activities on Fridays - especially ones that involve baking or building things. I know I'm supposed to start the outlining, but ds1 is still figuring that out (only on Week 5 WWS) so I will ease into it when ready - maybe second half of the year. For now we are just having fun with history.

Hi all,

There was a thread a few weeks ago about how doing WWS changes the way you do WTM history. You just can't expect the same level of outlining, narrations, summaries, etc when you are doing WWS.

Would you please link me to this thread. I would love to read it.

Ruth in NZ

Would you please link me to this thread. I would love to read it.

Ruth in NZ

Here ya go...

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307148&highlight=WWS

This thread also speaks to the other poster's question about why WWS changes history in the first place. If you follow WWS the student is doing quite a bit of writing each week. Adding on with the WTM outlines and narrations is in my opinion, just too much.

At first I tried to have DS do for history whatever he was NOT doing for WWS that week, and we're sort of doing that, but I'm seeing that we could probably pare back on the history writing even more, leaving time for projects, hands-on, fun stuff.

Hope that helps!

Amy

History is our favorite subject! We do occasional narrations/summaries & outlines, otherwise my boys would get bored. We've also done notebooking and using a variety of note-taking skills, such as the Cornell method.

To make it more fun, though, we throw in activities related to the time period we're studying, such as cooking, art/craft projects, online games, making board/card games, playing Jeopardy, listening to music, making models, doing crossword puzzles, drawing maps, creating dioramas, staging debates, reading historical fiction, watching history documentaries, making PowerPoint presentations, acting out historical events, designing posters, taking field trips, writing music/lyrics to a song depicting historical events, going to historical re-enactments & Renaissance festivals, writing bio-poems, creating comic strips, etc. Making it fun for your kids really depends on what they consider to be fun activities. (Can you tell I've got creative kids?)

Here ya go...

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307148&highlight=WWS

This thread also speaks to the other poster's question about why WWS changes history in the first place. If you follow WWS the student is doing quite a bit of writing each week. Adding on with the WTM outlines and narrations is in my opinion, just too much.

Amy

Ok, I see. I've always done both a writing program and writing in the curriculum so I wasn't sure I understood. Currently we are alternating between CW Maxim and WWS but I still have her do writing in history - sometimes narrations/outlines, sometimes Omnibus writing assignments.

Heather