Menu

Few questions about "The Reading Lesson"

rgrin

We've been using TRL for a bit, and I've come up on a few questions. DS is doing fairly well, but there are a few words he's having problems on in unit 7. He gets upset if I repeat pages too much, so I've just been trying to take it slow and do the CD-ROM instead of too much repetition. If there are two or three key words that he still struggles with at the end of a unit, should I go on to the next unit, or repeat and practice until he's comfortable with all of the words? I'm afraid he'll get burned out if I repeat, but frustrated and uncomfortable if I go on. :confused: Advice?

With my oldest ds I took the words at the end of each unit (the ones they usually list on the last page of the unit) and put them on index cards. I would go through the cards with him each day before doing that day's reading from the book, retiring the ones that he knew instantly so the deck didn't get too big. It worked well for him.

I've used TRL with three of my dc. I love it!

I would move on. Just make index cards, play games like go fish or what not. That way he feels he's playing and not rehashing material.

I used TRL with my three oldest. My youngest is reading well but she likes to page through the book and do some of the lessons. So I guess I've used it with all four of my girls. LOL