Menu

writing w ease dictation question

cindylee

I have 5th grade twin girls. They narrate fairly well and answer in complete sentences. One of them still has trouble remembering the dictation when I read it to her 3 times. She is not a good memorizer and can't repeat it back to me. I generally go over it several times til she remembers. Any suggestions....is this important before I move on in writing. She does well writing the sentences once she can memorize them.

thank you!

Sorry I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say that I think it is an important skill to learn. I'm speaking from personal experience. When in college, I had a terrible time trying to take notes because I could not remember what the teacher said. I wish I would have done these dictation practices. Now that I am doing them with my daughter, I am finding it a bit easier myself. Also, I have auditory processing issues. Do you think your daughter might have that?

I have twin 4th graders doing WWE 3. One twin, who has dyspraxia, does very well with remembering the sentence, but needs a lot of support with writing. The other twin struggles immensely with remembering the sentence, gets very frustrated, but then writes beautifully and never struggles with spelling or punctuation. I think it's really good for her because she also struggles with following through with multiple oral directions. There is nothing wrong with her. She is very bright and is used to having things come easily. She doesn't listen 100% because she thinks she already knows what I am going to say, etc. I was like this as a kid, too. It's quite obnoxious. :) WWE has been so, so, so beneficial for her listening skills. Even though she needs extra help, we will continue to do it. SWB talks about building that muscle, etc. I can't remember if it's a You Tube video or in her book.

Anyhow, this is of course assuming there isn't some processing problem, but if you've never really noticed it before, and she's in 5th grade, it might just be that it's something that doesn't come easily to her. And that's ok! :) I'd stick with it.