Menu

Thinking of your grandparents,

Family Size (more, fewer, or about the same # of kids?) Maternal had 1, paternal had 2, I have 1 and 1 on the way

Size of your home? Comparable

Number of moves in your lifetime compared to them? I have moved more, but some of them moved a lot for their generation

Do you have as much of a social support network as they did? No, maternal had family around and paternal developed a social support network of friends

How do you think your nutrition compares to theirs? What about your overall health? They had better nutrition growing up and the farm set had better nutrition as young and middle aged adults.

Educational Levels? Comparable, I have a BS, 2 had bachelors degrees, 1 went to teacher's college, 1 had a high school diploma

Family Size: Paternal - same #, Maternal - I have one more child

Size of your home? Same, now. The house we used to live in was much larger.

Number of moves in your lifetime compared to them? More. My dad was in the Air Force, and we moved a lot.

Do you have as much of a social support network as they did? Not even close, mostly because I do not live near my relatives.

How do you think your nutrition compares to theirs? What about your overall health? My overall health is worse. My nutrition is better, only because I am careful about the amount of fats and simple carbs I eat, plus I take supplements.

Educational Levels? They were high school graduates. I have a graduate degree.

How do you compare in the categories below? It's ok if your answer is based on hunches, rather than hard facts. I'm just curious. :D I promise I'm not tallying answers to report to the government, either. I didn't mean for it to sound like the census so many were complaining about earlier this year. It's just a list of things I find myself thinking of frequently.

Family Size (more, fewer, or about the same # of kids?) GPs 14, me-1

Size of your home? (slightly larger )

Number of moves in your lifetime compared to them? Probably about the same

Do you have as much of a social support network as they did? Much more than them I imagine

How do you think your nutrition compares to theirs? What about your overall health? Both better for me I think

Educational Levels?

Both GPs about 8th grade....me high school.

Family Size (more, fewer, or about the same # of kids?)

Maternal grandparents had two children, paternal GP had one, I have five.

Size of your home?

I think about the same or smaller than paternal GP, probably bigger than maternal GP because they lived in an apartment for a long time. Our house seems small to us though. I need space!

Number of moves in your lifetime compared to them?

I'm going to say comparable, but I'm not positive.

Do you have as much of a social support network as they did?

Not by a long shot. They had real family support (i.e. sisters around who could really lend a hand, not elderly parents who could babysit in a pinch) and also friends and neighbors. I have very little of any of that.

How do you think your nutrition compares to theirs? What about your overall health?

At the age I'm at, I'd say we are similar or worse for overall health than my grandparents (my kids definitely are worse), but I'm going to guess that their nutrition was actually better - things not as full of pesticides, GMO, preservatives, feedlot animals, etc.

Educational Levels?

Ours are much higher. Doesn't seem to have gotten us anywhere, has it. :tongue_smilie: