Menu

American history - Favorite teaching company tapes/and or other videos audios

from the colonial period to the 20th century.. I am interested also in the PBS American experience series, but it seems massive. I'd like basically 4 series of lectures or tapes on major topics, such as revolutionary war, constitution, civil war, reconstruction, and WWI, great depression, WWII, etc. Wow... Any course or tapes you particularly liked would be great..

thanks

The Teaching Company course on United States history might be something for you. It covers all the topics you mentioned in one 84-lecture course (three separate lecturers). We just finished lecture 48, and it has been a wonderful. Unfortunately, it's not on sale right now, but no doubt it will be soon. It's quite popular.

Alternatively, there is a set (2 courses together) on sale that covers the American Revolution and the Civil War.The two lecturers are two of the ones in the US history course mentioned above.. I'd hold out for a sale on the whole shebang (you might even call and see if you can get the sale price) because you get more for your $$.

:iagree:

I'd also wait for the sale....it will come around. The other one that is the Rev and Civil Wars would also probably be excellent. I really liked all three lecturers on the US History videos....we are just about finished with it now. Guelzo is my favorite followed by Allit and then Gallagher. Gallagher is at his best though when discussing the Civil War Battles....you can tell he is more passionate about that part of the course.

I've seen several courses by Guelzo that I'm thinking about getting, except the $$$ issue is a bit strained for us right now. So, I may just try to get them through our library.

If you have never ordered from Teaching Company....they gave me the sale price even though what I wanted wasn't currently on sale because it made me a new happy customer....it is always worth asking.

:iagree:

Guelzo is my favorite followed by Allit and then Gallagher. Gallagher is at his best though when discussing the Civil War Battles....you can tell he is more passionate about that part of the course.

I agree! Guelzo is awesome. I have several books by him, too, along with TC's The American Mind. We just finished with Gallagher and have yet to see/hear Allit.

My boys are watching Revolution by the History channel a 13 part documentary they released last year on the American Revolution and Liberty the American Revolution which is a PBS production. The history channel series is on the war and the PBS series is more political in nature. They will watch Ken Burns, Lewis and Clark, Civil War, West, ect... This year. I may get some of the Teaching company series through our library also.