Menu

Apple and Pears Spelling- Questions for current users

I really like what I see with the Apples and Pears Spelling, but before I take the plunge I wanted to ask a few questions of those who use it.

Since it is from the UK, are there significant spelling differences from American English? Or is there an American English version? I looked at the samples on their US site, but didn't see any mention of a different version. Since I see "realise" and "programme" on the website, I'm not sure I want to have to deal with that in a spelling book.

Also, I am curious what users think about the tracing font. It is a bit odd- especially the 'f' with the bottom hook. Has this been confusing to any kids using the workbooks?

Thanks for any input!

We haven't come across any words spelled differently yet. We are just half way through Book A. My ds7 and dd6 only complete one lesson each week (over 2 or 3 days). The copywork in the beginning bothered my son, so we skipped to lesson 15 for written work. My daughter liked the tracing so she completed that in addition to the current lesson. We are on lesson 29 and so far we all really enjoy this program, although it's the only one we've used. Instead of a random list of words, they are learning words that they use frequently and learning to write sentences correctly. This is what I was looking for in a spelling program for their ages.

HTH!

Tiffany

There isn't tracing in book B, but the tracing in book A didn't seem to bother DS. We haven't come across any UK spellings so far.

Apples and Pears has been the best thing we've tried for DS. He still hates spelling, but even he admits how much he has improved.

Michelle T