Menu

Amazon, Inc = The Jungle (Sinclair)

asta

Inside Amazon's warehouse: Lehigh Valley workers tell of brutal heat, dizzying pace at online retailer.

For me, reading this story was like reading a modern-day portion of Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle".

I think the entire situation just incapsulates every single thing that has gone wrong with the US economy: want, want it cheaply, want it now, d@mn the consequences.

Welcome to the human cost of the (new, not so industrial) revolution.

Blech.

asta

(and no, I don't think this is a "it's all the fault of those RICH people" issue. I think this is a "it's all the fault of most EVERYONE" issue -- a society that doesn't stop to think where or how they get their STUFF as long as they get it fast and get it cheaply)

Thanks for the link. I really want to read it a bit later today because I've always wondered how Amazon can sell so cheap and send the items so quickly, and maintain such great return policies. I don't shop at Wal-Mart, ever, so this might be eye-opening.

Thanks again.

The heat thing is very odd, they should have been able to open dock doors for air circulation, but....have none of you have worked in a warehouse or had a spouse do it?

Increasingly higher productivity rates, uncaring managers, uncomfortable work environment, being pushed to ignore injuries, and being a hugely physical job is pretty much par for the course. WalMart, Target etc. It's the same thing.

If you haven't seen it yet, this thread is on the same thing:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313895

Actually, she was asking for alternatives to Amazon for purchasing textbooks because of reading a similar article.

I was starting this thread to point out the terrifying similarities to labor conditions at the turn of the century and the situations that (I see) lead to them.

I have worked in a warehouse.

a