Menu

Did your SPD/APD child benefit from OT?

We went to DD therapist today. We goto our Dr tomorrow for a change in medication. DD therapist said that the picking is "kinda ocd-ish" but given that she does it when in emotional distress/anxiety she feels it could lead to worse things like cutting. She also thinks that we need to have the OT eval done ASAP so we can better understand how the SPD/APD impacts the anxiety and how to better handle the behaviors associated with it.

So if your child has had OT or is currently in OT what kind of things did they do? How did they benefit? Feel free to PM me if your more comfortable or need additional information to share.

TIA

Karen

Oh my gosh, yes, huge improvements.

We have better language to talk about meltdowns, what causes them and how to behave social situations (what is expected and what causes negative thoughts for others). There is no more fear of swings and things moving under his feet, in fact he begged to go on Fun Houses at the Fair where the floor moved the whole time and he loved them. There as been a huge decrease in anxiety since he is overall better balanced and accommodated by heavy work, exercises that increased core strength, fidgets during seat work, and calming down strategies. He can even read better since the VT told me his eye function was improved by a better integration of his senses. I cannot say enough good things about OT.