Menu

Math Help Needed Please (Dolciani Pre-Alg or Singapore)

Dilemmas, dilemmas!!! :confused:

Why, oh, why does math send me into a tailspin? My dd 11 is finishing TT Math 7 this year. We have also done some Singapore CWP with that. She should finish TT 7 by July. I don't want to continue with TT because dd has not felt that it reviews enough for her, plus I just really love how Singapore teaches kids to think about math.

I've heard great things about the Dolciani text. I picked up the Dolciani Pre-Algebra text recommended by some on here at a GREAT price--under $5 with shipping! I also have some Singapore texts and have closely looked at MEP for Level 7, which is another really good program IMHO but I don't know that it teaches problem solving as Singapore does. I am really big on figuring out how to do word problems the way Singapore teaches with the rods. I don't see how this can be anything but helpful, but I have recently read some folks thoughts it's not a good idea??? The rod method has helped ME, a math flop, figure out how to solve problems. I feel like it helps me SEE the problem, which then helps me see WHY the algebra way of doing it works, too, if that makes sense.

So, I don't know that my dd 11 really has the conceptual aspects of this down yet completely, kwim? She'll be in 6th grade in the fall. I'm wondering if I'd be better off letting her spend next year getting through Singapore 6B and *then* moving onto a pre-algebra text or something else? And which Singapore text should I start her with? I have 4 A & B, which I know she would just breeze through. I was thinking about starting with 5A and allowing her to just go through quickly and then slow down thereafter if need be.

Any thoughts on how I should go? I think she could handle the Dolciani text BUT I don't think she'll necessarily SEE in her head WHY a problem is solved a certain way. Anyone out there want to share why they think Singapore or Dolciani Pre-Algebra is a better way to go for a 6th grade child?

Thank you so much!

Anita

Dd completed PM 1-6. She did Key to Algebra (books 1-3) together with Dolciani Algebra 1 (chapters 1-3). I felt that that she was struggling (not quite ready as she was only 11) so we backtracked and she's working through Dolciani's Pre-Algebra. She takes each chapter test and if she scores 90% or above, she skips the chapter. If not, she goes back and does those sections that she's having problems with.

The Dolciani's Pre-Algebra has worked out well. It's solidified the concepts, familiarized her with the US terms and exposed her to some new stuff (probability and statistics - that are not in SM). We'll go back to Dolciani Algebra 1 in the fall when she's 12 and a 7th grader.

HTH,

Sandra

You could work through CWP for the "thinking-type" problems, and use Dolciani's pre-Algebra as your main text. I would start her out with a lower level of CWP, just to teach her the bar-diagram method of solving problems.

I see no problem with using the bar diagram method. As a matter of fact, I saw similar methods being used in Foerster's Algebra & Dolciani's Algebra. Both texts encourage students to draw pictures to help solve word problems.

The only problem I can foresee is with students used to Singapore's bar diagrams having some difficulty translating the bars into expressions with variables. I know this, because I am working through some wp's in Dolciani right now, and I can easily draw the bar diagram, but I have to train myself to translate it into the traditional algebraic expression. I see the bar diagrams as an advantage. Singapore students are already trained to think algebraically. You just have to show them a different way of expressing the equation.

I like Dolciani's word problems, because they are very similar to Singapore's wp's.