Menu

Best Math sequence for a math/ science/ business guy

What do you think is the best Math sequence for a student who currently has his own business and may be interested in studying either business or something math or science-oriented? He is now in 8th and has done MUS through elementary, then Saxon 8/7 last year. We are wavering between those two for high school. I am not interested in looking at a bunch of other options (I've done that too much!), just deciding whether to continue with MUS Algebra, which he's started, or go back with Saxon. He is a just the facts kind of boy. He did well with MUS and then Saxon helped him also. He is good in math, but lacks some maturity that will help him be careful with longer, harder upper level math problems. We are working on that. Thanks, Lillian

If he's interested in STEM, I would recommend Saxon over MUS, not from my own experience as I've never seen MUS, but from what others have shared here. From what I understand, MUS works very well for some students for which other math programs have not worked, but it's not at the level required for STEM majors. Since he's interested in business also, I would suggest he plan on taking statistics during high school, if at all possible. Personally, I would drop the MUS and begin Saxon Algebra I. He can always use the MUS as a reference or for specific practice. JMO. :)

ETA: As far as sequence, it might look something like:

8th - Algebra I

9th - Algebra II

10th - Advanced Math (first half)

11th - Advanced Math (second half)

12th - Statistics

He could also do a year of formal geometry, but

it's not necessary as Saxon incorporates geometry

into the other texts.

Or if he can complete Advanced Math in one year, then

he could plan on Calculus too.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I am not familiar with either program, but want to add that it is much more important for a STEM major to be rock solid in algebra and trigonometry than to have taken calculus in high school. Calc in high school is great and a good prep for uni calculus (has to take three semesters of calculus at the university and should not test out, even with AP), but not vital and the sequence should not be rushed. The students who struggle with math in my classes do so because they lack algebra skills, not because they had no high school calc. Just something to keep in mind when you plan.