Menu

World Lit to go with Spielvogel World History

Anyone happen to have world literature suggestions to accompany Spielvogel's World History for a 9th grader? :001_smile:

DS ended up with World History for SS and a mix for literature (Oak Meadow grade 9 and IEW American History based writing) but both of these seem pretty easy on content. I know he could do more and tying in literature with the World History might make the whole year more meaningful for him.

Edited by Trilliums

We're using Spielvogel's Western Civilization textbook to study Ancient-Medieval history and reading the Great Books of that time period. Here's the list DS will be reading through in 9th grade:

The Epic of Gilgamesh

The Iliad, Homer

The Odyssey, Homer

Mythology, Edith Hamilton (read independently)

Oedipus Rex, Sophocles

Oedipus at Colonus, Sophocles (read independently)

Antigone, Sophocles (Netflix)

Herodotus and the Road to History, Jeanne Bendick (read independently-children’s version)

Clouds, Aristophanes

Birds or Frogs, Aristophanes (read independently)

The Republic, Plato

Aesop’s Fables (read independently)

Ethics, Aristotle

On Poetics, Aristotle (excerpts or read independently?)

The Bible (Genesis, Exodus, Job, Proverbs, Daniel)

The Aeneid for Boys & Girls, Alfred Church (read independently)

The Children’s Plutarch: Tales of the Greeks, F.J. Gould (read independently)

Beowulf

Divine Comedy, Dante

Sir Gawain & the Green Knight

The Canterbury Tales

Some we will read through together, discuss in-depth, anaylyze, and DS will write papers and do projects. Others we will read excerpts just to get a feel for the book/author/time period. Others he will read independently with no discussions, analysis or assignments attached to it. Some will be children's versions. We're even throwing in a movie version of a play to mix things up. We'll also use The Teaching Co. lectures called "Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition" to coincide with the particular books/authors we're reading.

Keep in mind that this is the plan. We might not make it through the whole list, but I like to set the bar high at the beginning and at least start with a plan. ;)

Thanks for the list--definitely gives us some titles to think about. :)

I do want to be sure he gets exposure to several from an Ancients list and then I think we will move up chronologically as the book progresses. Maybe I'll have it figured out by next year when DS #2 will be in 9th grade. :001_smile:

We're using Spielvogel's Western Civilization textbook to study Ancient-Medieval history and reading the Great Books of that time period. Here's the list DS will be reading through in 9th grade:

The Epic of Gilgamesh

The Iliad, Homer

The Odyssey, Homer

Mythology, Edith Hamilton (read independently)

Oedipus Rex, Sophocles

Oedipus at Colonus, Sophocles (read independently)

Antigone, Sophocles (Netflix)

Herodotus and the Road to History, Jeanne Bendick (read independently-children’s version)

Clouds, Aristophanes

Birds or Frogs, Aristophanes (read independently)

The Republic, Plato

Aesop’s Fables (read independently)

Ethics, Aristotle

On Poetics, Aristotle (excerpts or read independently?)

The Bible (Genesis, Exodus, Job, Proverbs, Daniel)

The Aeneid for Boys & Girls, Alfred Church (read independently)

The Children’s Plutarch: Tales of the Greeks, F.J. Gould (read independently)

Beowulf

Divine Comedy, Dante

Sir Gawain & the Green Knight

The Canterbury Tales

Some we will read through together, discuss in-depth, anaylyze, and DS will write papers and do projects. Others we will read excerpts just to get a feel for the book/author/time period. Others he will read independently with no discussions, analysis or assignments attached to it. Some will be children's versions. We're even throwing in a movie version of a play to mix things up. We'll also use The Teaching Co. lectures called "Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition" to coincide with the particular books/authors we're reading.

Keep in mind that this is the plan. We might not make it through the whole list, but I like to set the bar high at the beginning and at least start with a plan. ;)

We are doing a very similar study this year. I am using the Oak Meadow Spielvogel Glencoe book and study guide as a spine (only doing up to 1600's-ish) with SWB's first two books added here and there. Also added an Art History study each week and great religions of the world study. We listen to the TC Great Course "World History: The Fertile Crescent to the American Revolution" as a fun intro to each time period. My 9th and 7th graders think the guy is corny but hysterical. (This is where my ds is going to get his note taking skills from lectures down.)

The lit is very similar to the above study. I loosely use the Prentice Hall "Literature World Masterpieces" text because it has some great excerpts of lit we just don't have time to cover, good historical background and info on the ones we are reading in depth, and good short stories and poems for variety. (I got this super cheap from Amazon).

We are using the TC lectures "The History of World Literature", but have access from our library to the one beachnut mentioned above for supplements. We are definitely using the "Iliad" TC lectures and the "Canterbury Tales" audio, also.

We also have an aggressive plan laid out for the year. Luckily, my ds is an avid reader and is enjoying the challenge.

Janice Campbell has a World Literature Program: Excellence in World Literature

Here is the book list.

Unit 1: The Odyssey by Homer

Honors: The Iliad by Homer

Unit 2: Antigone by Sophocles

The Burial at Thebes: A Verson of Sophocles’ Antigone by Seamus Heaney

Honors: Oedipus Rex by Sophocles

Unit 3: The Aeneid by Virgil

Honors: Lives of the Noble Grecians and Romans by Plutarch

Unit 4: Divine Comedy: Inferno by Dante

Honors: Paradisio and/or Purgatorio by Dante

Unit 5: Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Honors: The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens

Unit 6: Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

Honors: The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo or

Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville

Unit 7: The Portable Nineteenth Century Russian Reader edited by George Gibian

Honors: The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Unit 8: Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Honors: The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis (if you didn’t read it in English II) and The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde or Frankenstein by Mary Shelley or Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe

Unit 9: Out of Africa and “Babette’s Feast†by Isak Dinesen

Honors: Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life by C.S. Lewis