Menu

OLSAT age/grade question

Guest shannon21

Guest shannon21

My 6 year old took the 2nd grade OLSAT last spring. Her SAI was 121 total. Should she have waited til this upcoming spring to test? I did not seek enough guidance regarding which test would have been better for her age. Does this test account for age? Thanks for any info!

She graduated from 2nd grade last spring at a private school.

Edited by shannon21

I don't think most standardized tests change the norms based on age as opposed to grade level. I don't know the OLSAT, but since most 2nd graders are 8 in the Spring, I'd think that would tend to skew the scores a bit for a 6 yr old.

Regardless, I'd tend to take any test like the OLSAT with a grain of salt. I've heard the opinion on GT teaching boards that the purpose of the OLSAT and COGAT are more to give schools reason to rule kids OUT of GT services than to rule them in, and therefore they tend to only identify a small fraction of the kids that a full, individual assessment using multiple tests will, especially if it's given at the end of several days of achievement testing when they're sick and tired of the whole thing.