Menu

Geometry Topics in Pre-Algebra

Hello- I'm a lurker who doesn't post very often, but I'm hoping someone here can help me with a pre-algebra question.

My 8th grade ds spent last year and the beginning of this year working through most of Dolciani pre-algrebra, but we skipped the geometry sections. We covered some of the same geometry topics in Singapore but not all, and I know that these topics will all be covered again in Geometry next year. Ideally, I'd love to go back and cover all of these chapters, but I'd also really like to start ds in Algebra.

So, how important is it to cover the geometry topics in pre-algebra texbooks?

Sarah

I'd expect before a "geometry" class for a student to know some basic definitions: polygon terms, parallel lines, perpendicular lines, sum of angles in triangle, types of triangles, have formulas memorized (area, perimeter, volume), be able to compute area, perimeter, volume and have experience with composite figures (figures that are put together from others).

If *he* is ready for algebra, then go for it. I am kind of curious... Why the rush though?

Pre-algebra is not really a "real" math course; it's a fairly recent invention, a review of the arithmetic basics and a superficial intro to algebra in one neat package for kids who aren't quite ready for algebra at the end of their general arithmetic instruction (however, much like Kindergarten becoming the new first grade, some publishers are writing algebra courses as if this introduction has now become a universal).

Why geometry in pre-algebra. First, it presents another context for algebraic equations to be useful (hopefully you id let your son cover the Pythagorean theorem, at least, if it was offered). Application makes math interesting and meaningful.

Second, division of math, at this level, into separate courses such as Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Trigonometry, Analysis, at this level is artificial. These are not really separate disciplines of math, and some integration of the teaching reinforces this to the student. You want them to understand that it's all just math, being broken up for them into chunks, like chapters in a really big book. He may well see area and perimeter problems in algebra.

If you wish to skip that particular section of pre-algebra, that is your choice; but make sure your reasons for needing to hustle him along are clear and they make sense (what will be gained by starting algebra sooner? How much sooner will this be? Does he pick up information quickly the first time, or benefit from repetition? Will he have a tough time if he bumps into an area or perimeter problem in algebra? Or is the pre-algebra section mostly focused upon angles and solid shapes?) Just a few questions for you to mull over as you decide.

It wil probably not be disastrous if you skip it. Just be clear on why you want to do so and that what you hope to gain is truly beneficial for your son.

Good luck!

Jen- good question.

Ds did quite well with Singapore, and though he was more than ready to handle algebraic concepts last year, I felt he needed more practice with a few concepts that were either lightly covered in Singapore, or were just his weaker areas.

I'd really love for him to finish Algebra this school year as he is taking Biology this year and will need to be solid in Algebra for Chemistry next year.

Your post was very helpful. Ds has already had a lot of exposure to area, perimeter and angles and will be fine encountering those in an algebra course. I'd really love for him to play around with these concepts (and others) some more, but think preparing him for chemistry is probably more important.

Thanks,

Sarah

Why don't you start the Algebra 1 curriculum 4 days a week and cover the Geometry topics 1 day a week? Like Wednesdays to break up the Algebra or Friday for a change of pace during the weekend. Dd does Patty Paper Geometry on Wednesdays to break up her regular math a bit and its going great. We will take 2 years to cover Patty Paper Geometry I think, it may go faster than I anticipated though.