Menu

Anyone done logic stage biology using only WTM recs?

I'm curious about it. I've reread that section several times over, and I love the idea of it. Looks a bit pricey, but I think in a way, it might be worth every penny. I know my ds would love it!

I'd love to hear from others that have done it. How did it go? Things that went well or things that you would do differently. I'm all :bigear:.

We did it using WTM recommendations last year. I did like the "How the [blank] works" books and thought they gave a reasonable number of hands-on things to try. I had DD look through the section for the week and choose the experiment(s) she wanted to do, partly based on her own interest and partly based on materials we had available at home. If I did it over again, I would skip buying the insect investigations book (Creepy Crawlies?). It was much more in-depth than we wanted to go into the subject and we hardly used it, if at all.

Erica in OR

Sherry, we're doing WTM logic-stage biology right now. I'm using WTM as the core of the program. Since I also have a grammar-stage child, chapters from other books (for human body they're reading Apologia's Antomy/Physiology) get thrown into the mix.

It does look pricey, but I'm spreading it out over the year. First I had my logic-stage son pick from the list of experiment kits in TWTM. I've only got what I need for this quarter & will order more as we go. Janice VanCleave books (Biology for Every Kid, Human Body for Every Kid, Plants, etc.) are invaluable. Instead of ordering the fingerprint experiment kits, there are instructions for how to do it on your own w/o a pre-purchased kit in the JVC books.

Contrary to your feelings about it, I can't wait to use the Creepy Crawlies book next summer. Reading it this fall made me wish I had done so earlier, so that we could have used it before bugs started running for cover (from the cold). I really don't want to keep any of those things inside my house, so either we will have to find containers that they absolutely cannot escape from, make space in the garage (only a little better), or keep them outside in the summer. We'll see. Carolina Biological Supply is willing to answer a lot of questions over the phone IME.

ETA: Sorry for getting your names mixed up!

Edited by Annabel Lee

It does look pricey, but I'm spreading it out over the year. First I had my logic-stage son pick from the list of experiment kits in TWTM. I've only got what I need for this quarter & will order more as we go. Janice VanCleave books (Biology for Every Kid, Human Body for Every Kid, Plants, etc.) are invaluable. Instead of ordering the fingerprint experiment kits, there are instructions for how to do it on your own w/o a pre-purchased kit in the JVC books.

Good advice on JVC!

I really don't want to keep any of those things inside my house, so either we will have to find containers that they absolutely cannot escape from, make space in the garage (only a little better), or keep them outside in the summer. We'll see. Carolina Biological Supply is willing to answer a lot of questions over the phone IME.

That's the other issue I'm trying to figure out. Where will I put all this stuff?