Menu

grade inflation/deflation. . . list?

I know its been discussed here but. . . I have been looking online (not just the board here) for a list of colleges that have grade inflation and those that don't. I did find a list of colleges with hardest grades. . . was wondering if there was one listing worst grade inflators too. Reason I ask - my parents set up college fund for the kids .. . but my mom said a comment once that made it sound like they expect certain grades. . . thats there choice and ok - but ds goes to Purdue university (in engineering no less!) - Purdue is on lists as being right up there with the HARDEST schools grading-wise. Anyone link me to any such lists for both inflating (easier) and deflating (toughest) schools. That way my brag over ds getting any GPA over 2.6 will sink into my moms head! I have nieces and nephew that go to schools known to inflate - don't want grandma to unfairly compare.

Thanks!

Barb

Your kid should just do his best and call it a day.

To quote my mother, "Comparisons are odious."

JMHO -- All colleges have succumbed to grade inflation to some degree, since a C is not a middle-of-the-road grade in any class in any college in the country, and a GPA of 2.0 (which is what a student getting straight C's would have) is not an average GPA anywhere.

Your kid should just do his best and call it a day.

To quote my mother, "Comparisons are odious."

JMHO -- All colleges have succumbed to grade inflation to some degree, since a C is not a middle-of-the-road grade in any class in any college in the country, and a GPA of 2.0 (which is what a student getting straight C's would have) is not an average GPA anywhere.

:agree:Just want some ammunition incase my mom isn't up to speed with the difference between colleges, since ds college is know for grade deflation (not inflation). Ds and I will feel very good if he gets a c in calculus - for that course, at his college that is an excellent grade. At purdue - no engineering student gets GPA's above the 3.2 - most are around 2.8 gap. So, if one looks at percentiles. . . . ds is doing great.

Barb