Menu

Pond Protozoa Co-op Class: Ideas and Questions

chai

I'm teaching a co-op class on pond protozoa on Monday. I set this up so that I would be forced to start up science for the summer. I'm using a lesson in Real Science 4 Kids as a guide.

Can you give me your thoughts on this as a class? Do you have any other fun ideas?

10 minutes: Talk about the kingdoms of living things. Focus on Protista kingdom and its characteristics. Talk about the three main groupings of protists--ciliates, flagellates and amoeba--and how they move.

20 minutes: Walk to the pond to collect samples. Ask students what living things they can see.

30 minutes: Review rules for working with microscopes. Have students look at samples under microscope. Draw a picture of what they see.

10 minutes: Have students compare their drawings to photographs of protists. Label their drawings.

15 minutes: Have each student take on the personality of their protists. Interview them to learn more about them.

Here is a great site that I'm using as a resource: A Virtual Pond Dip

My dd wants to have food involved--make a snack that looks like a protist, but I'm not too crazy about the idea.

Any ideas or suggestions? This is not my area of expertise.

For a snack - try jello in a clear cup before class...then provide kids with "cell" or "protozoa" parts that they can "stick" into their jello cup.........like smarties candies, string licorice, raisins, you get the idea!

For a snack - try jello in a clear cup before class...then provide kids with "cell" or "protozoa" parts that they can "stick" into their jello cup.........like smarties candies, string licorice, raisins, you get the idea!

That is brilliant! I can teach the parts of cells at the same time! Thank you!