Menu

Singapore Math Question/Help

Momma2Many66

I am interested in using Singapore Math with my 1st grade son, can someone tell me where I begin and what I need to purchase to start him out ? Also, where do you buy Singapore Math products. I'm a totally newbie at this math program and I have no idea where to even begin.

I currently use Math Mammoth, but would like to add in Singapore because I read on these boards how well everyone likes it and I would like to give it a go with my son.

Please list the materials I would need to buy for a first grade student starting out with this math program.

Any advice or help you can give me about this program would be so appreciated !

I like to buy Singapore books from www.bestedusource.com, but if I have to put in an order for other things I will buy them from www.christianbook.com or www.rainbowresource.com.

If you're just going to try it, I would only buy level 1A materials. Workbook, Textbook and Home Instructor's Guide (HIG). A lot of people think you don't need the HIG, but if you've never taught Singapore before I think it's essential. First of all, it has all the answers. :) Secondly, it helps you understand the singapore method. I've heard a lot of moms say that it didn't help their kids or they didn't understand it, but most of them weren't using the HIG. It includes some games for reinforcement and it keeps you on track with facts memorization. (We use Calculadder Drills for that.)

Please list the materials I would need to buy for a first grade student starting out with this math program.

I recommend that you go with the Standards Edition (SE), as the Home Instructor's Guide is excellent. For Grade 1, you'll want:

• SE Home Instructor's Guide (1A and 1B)
  • SE Student Textbook (1A and 1B)
  • SE Student Workbook (1A and 1B)

Materials that you MAY want to look at include:

• Extra Practice 1: This is for students who are struggling or need extra practice. I doubt you'll need this as you're using Math Mammoth, though.
  • Challenging Word Problems 1: These are challenging. I'm using the CWP several units behind where we are in the text, while some have used them a full grade behind and still been very happy with them.
  • Intensive Practice 1A/1B: These provide students deeper-level questions. If you have a student who finds the everyday workbook too easy, then the IP is for you. I use the IP a half-level behind as a review.

Hope this helps!

ETA: I wonder if by materials you were asking about manipulatives? Apologies if I misunderstood you: the important manipulatives for us have been counters (beans, paper clips, lego blocks will work) and the cards that are in the back of the SM HIGs. We've started using our Base 10 set a bit more in 1B and I'm glad we've got it on hand.

Edited by Lynnita

:iagree: It's also helpful to have some sort of counter manipulatives (even if you just use beans) to illustrate problems.

I bought some poker chips and wrote "1" on half of the white ones, "10" on the blue ones, "100" on the red ones and "1000" on the rest of the white ones.

I used poker chips because the illustrations in the books are circles and my kiddos were getting confused. :)

I'd agree with the Standards HIG, textbook, and workbook. I used to buy the Extra Practice and Tests, but found I didn't need them. I either find other resources if my children needed additional practice or make up my own problems. I wouldn't worry about Intensive Practice or Challenging Word Problems. Most people use these a year behind their child's current math level and at first grade, your child should be focused on mastery of the first level.

I recommend that you go with the Standards Edition (SE), as the Home Instructor's Guide is excellent. For Grade 1, you'll want:

• SE Home Instructor's Guide (1A and 1B)

• SE Student Textbook (1A and 1B)

• SE Student Workbook (1A and 1B)

Materials that you MAY want to look at include:

• Extra Practice 1: This is for students who are struggling or need extra practice. I doubt you'll need this as you're using Math Mammoth, though.

• Challenging Word Problems 1: These are challenging. I'm using the CWP several units behind where we are in the text, while some have used them a full grade behind and still been very happy with them.

• Intensive Practice 1A/1B: These provide students deeper-level questions. If you have a student who finds the everyday workbook too easy, then the IP is for you. I use the IP a half-level behind as a review.

Hope this helps!

:iagree:

The IP books I would want to note are only available in the US Edition series, so use those with the SE textbooks and workbooks until this situation changes.

Also if one uses the HIGs the main manipulative at this stage is either Unifix cubes or Linking Cubes (two variants of the same basic idea). I wish these were not the manipulative of choices and personally translated all good HIG ideas into Cuisenaire Rod based activities (with ease) but Unifix Cubes are the standard.

I purchase form Singaporemath[dot]com, in part because I order additional supplements, and in part because they run a valuable forum and want to support that effort.

Bill