Menu

One of those cases where I can't get too mad.....

Yesterday, in between my husband leaving for work shift #2 and my return with my after school kids, my youngest son went on a venture unbeknownst to me or his siblings.

He got on his bicycle, crossed the major road in front of my subdivision, rode up the driveway to the Karate place across the street. He approached a "man" fixing an outdoor sign, asking about "karate". The man answered his questions and my not-so-baby followed him into the building to get a brochure.

It turns out (says not-so-baby excitedly) that "THEY HAVE KARATE ALL SUMMER LONG FOR ONLY $150!!!!!"

His supporting documents do in fact indicate that is the truth. There are 3 classes a week for 3 months, for $150. I'm not up on Karate, but it does seem like not a bad deal.

My sense is that he is searching for something "his", "athletic" and "not baseball or older brother related". I actually think that a martial arts training would be a good way for him to channel his.......um.....abundant energy. This child, in particular, if in public school would be labeled as either ADD or gifted - depending on the teacher.

Now, it was not "safe", or "acceptable". But those times when my kids do something that is so charming it mitigates the negatives, I listen. This must be important to him.

I wonder if my sofa might be holding $150 in change? :lol::D;)

That does seem like a good deal for three months of martial arts classes. But how many days a week is it? My boys (8 yo) have been doing MA for the past school year and it has been very good for them. They are more focused and they are learning great things about respect not to mention the strength training and memorization skills. If you can swing it I recommed this activity for "active" boys.