Menu

What do you do when your child makes you appear irresponsible?

The other day ds had a football game; he needed to catch the bus to the "away" game at 9a and his game was at 1230p. In the morning, I told him to pack a lunch because after practicing, then the game, it would be 3p before he'd eat again, and he would be starving. He refused, siting that he's not supposed to eat before playing a game. I told him to just bring something lunchy "for fun" - just in case he got hungry (which, duh, he would). Nope. So, I left it, rather than argue more about it (and I pressed pretty hard already for him to bring some food!). Naturally, the kid was starved after the game, and all the other kids had either brought lunch or money for concession stand food, and ds was about the only kid without lunch that day. :glare:

Today, he had football practice until 730p. Usually, dh picks him up, but dh was busy, so I did it. Before ds left, I told him where I would be, and that he'd have to go there instead of where dh usually parked (where I parked was about 100 yards from the field, in a park he knows very, very well). At 7:37, I finally got out of my car (it's dark here by 730 now), walked over to where he was practicing, which I could easily see from where I was parked, with my car running and the lights on, only to find him on the coach's cell phone. Apparently, he had called home, my cell phone, and dh's cell phone wondering where I was! I explained I had been there early and had been waiting 15 minutes already...yada, yada. He had never walked over because, according to him, it was "too far" to walk (after 2 hours of football practice). The truth is that he didn't want to walk that far. :glare:

So now, I'm pretty sure the coach thinks we are total slacker parents. And I'm thoroughly embarrassed! Of course I would send my kid with food if he was gone for the day! Of course I will be there on time (usually early) to pick my kid up from something! Good grief! That child....:glare:

Do your kids do this to you? How do you deal? Ugh!

Edited by LauraGB

Your son's coach works with 12yo boys. I promise you, he gets it. I know several middle school teachers and they all understand that 12yo's are brain dead, stubborn mules. Don't stress it.

All of them? So, he's not an anomaly? Well, on the one hand, that's a bit of a relief (so thanks!). On the other...how do the mothers make it through the haze??

All of them? So, he's not an anomaly? Well, on the one hand, that's a bit of a relief (so thanks!). On the other...how do the mothers make it through the haze??

:blushing: With much embarrassment. I've come to the conclusion that rearing children, rather than robots, is embarrassing and socially awkward. And sometimes they make you proud. :D