Menu

Assigning Credit

How would you assign credit for the following? Dd's English work; i.e. writing, which focuses on ideas from American history, and grammar, takes one hour per day. However, her writing assignments also require another hour of reading and notetaking per day. So, there is a cycle; i.e. the weekly composition/writing work and reading/notetaking for the next week's essay, that often adds up to two hours. Can I give her 1 credit for English and 1 credit for something like American History Research Topics? Or, should I just call the work American History and indicate the time period?

Thanks.

Edited by 1Togo

I don't have my copy of WTM in front of me, but I believe SWB gives a separate credit for grammar, a credit for history, and a credit for literature. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong here.

I have noticed that many people don't do this; they combine the literature credit and the grammar credit.

Personally, I will be assigning my daughter credit as recommended in WTM. I think I am going to call the grammar credit Language Arts I. This will cover her grammar, writing, and vocab as well as some other things she is doing like reading How to Read A Book by Adler. She is just spending too much time on this stuff for me to not give her credit.

I am in the process of writing up course descriptions so colleges can see that she actually did put the time in to earn these credits.

This is my first go at high school so hopefully some others will offer their opinions.:)

Thanks. I don't have a copy of WTM anymore, but that's something along the lines of what I was thinking. Dd is doing a lot of work with composition and grammar, and I think it is worth one credit based on time and output, but the composition work also requires a reading and notetaking, so I think that deserves some type of credit as well. Perhaps, I will just give 1.5 credits for English and write the description to include the reading/research component.