Menu

WWS Wk4/Day2 typo?

I'm not sure if this is a typo/omission, or, if it is, where to ask about it, but ...

Wk4/Day 2's assignment is a one-level outline of a passage on Egyptian hieroglyphics. Did anyone else notice a discrepancy between the suggested outline in the Instructor Text and the notes to the instructor regarding Section 4 of the passage? I think perhaps the student text is missing the last two sentences from the original passage.

The suggested outline for Step Two reads:

"... IV. Champollion discovered the main principles of Egyptian writing...."

But if you look at Section 4 of the notes on how to help the student, if the student answers that the main idea of that section of the passage is that, "...He discovered the main principles of hieroglyphics," you should point out "That's an important point-but it doesn't cover the information in the last two and a half sentences. Those sentences aren't about Champollion. What are they about?"

"...They are about our being able to read Egyptian writing."

In my sample, the passage in the student text ends with "the main principles of Egyptian writing had become known." I looked up the original passage, and there are more two sentences in that paragraph that would be about our being able to read Egyptian writing. Perhaps those two sentences were intended to be included in the passage in the student text?

So the student passage syncs up with the Teacher Text's suggested outline, but the student passage and the suggested outline do not seem to sync up with the Section 4 Instructor notes.

ETA: Maybe this should have gone under the Answering Questions about WWS sticky.

Edited by yvonne

I'm not sure if this is a typo/omission, or, if it is, where to ask about it, but ...

Wk4/Day 2's assignment is a one-level outline of a passage on Egyptian hieroglyphics. Did anyone else notice a discrepancy between the suggested outline in the Instructor Text and the notes to the instructor regarding Section 4 of the passage? I think perhaps the student text is missing the last two sentences from the original passage.

The suggested outline for Step Two reads:

"... IV. Champollion discovered the main principles of Egyptian writing...."

But if you look at Section 4 of the notes on how to help the student, if the student answers that the main idea of that section of the passage is that, "...He discovered the main principles of hieroglyphics," you should point out "That's an important point-but it doesn't cover the information in the last two and a half sentences. Those sentences aren't about Champollion. What are they about?"

"...They are about our being able to read Egyptian writing."

In my sample, the passage in the student text ends with "the main principles of Egyptian writing had become known." I looked up the original passage, and there are more two sentences in that paragraph that would be about our being able to read Egyptian writing. Perhaps those two sentences were intended to be included in the passage in the student text?

So the student passage syncs up with the Teacher Text's suggested outline, but the student passage and the suggested outline do not seem to sync up with the Section 4 Instructor notes.

ETA: Maybe this should have gone under the Answering Questions about WWS sticky.

There is this post by SWB in the ALL thread - maybe it will pertain to WWS, too.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3070431&postcount=40