Menu

Foreign Exchange?

Does anyone have any experience with their student doing a Foreign Exchange program? My son is interested in possibly doing a semester in Russia, his senior year. He is taking Russian and really in to it.

What organizations have a good reputation? I'd love links or anything you can share.

You and your son should investigate the

National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y)

"The State Department’s National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y) provides merit-based scholarships to U.S. high school students and recent graduates interested in learning less-commonly studied foreign languages.

Eligibility Requirements

All applicants must be:

* A U.S. citizen who is currently enrolled in or just graduated from high school;

* 15-to-18.5 years old at the start of the program;

* have a minimum GPA of 2.5.

Languages Offered

There are seven languages: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Hindi, Korean, Persian, Russian and Turkish."

I've no first hand experience, but this program is well regarded. My daughter has a friend who valued her participation in their similar program for college aged students.

Regards,

Kareni

There's a Rotary Youth Exchange Program run by the Rotary Club - it's a well-respected program and apparently has existed for over 75 years. Here's the link:

http://www.rotary.org/en/studentsandyouth/youthprograms/rotaryyouthexchange/Pages/ridefault.aspx

I would really like to do an exchange or study abroad sometime, so I'll be following this thread!

Does anyone have any experience with their student doing a Foreign Exchange program? My son is interested in possibly doing a semester in Russia, his senior year. He is taking Russian and really in to it.

What organizations have a good reputation? I'd love links or anything you can share.

I was a summer exchange student through AFS to Germany. There were also a number of AFS exchange students attending my high school. I was pretty impressed with the administration.

There was a point where my mom got worried because she hadn't been getting my letters (they'd moved and I was using the wrong city). The country head of AFS called to make sure I was ok and made me call home. I know of a couple people who were put with new families over the course of the summer because if issues with the host families. (In my mind, you can't 100% screen for possible conflicts. But you can have an organization that is watching out for the kids and takes action when something comes up.)