Menu

9th grade book list for Medieval time period

Guest Love2Learn2Learn

Guest Love2Learn2Learn

Hi

I'm behind on getting my 9th grade daughter started in reading novels for Literature. School started 4 weeks ago :(

She's using The History of the Medieval World for her History text (last year Ancients).

I'd like her to read novels that go along with the time period and write/discuss them etc.

Can anyone suggest a book list?

Appreciate it!

You might look at the books used in Kolbe Academy's literature sequence. They cover medieval lit in 11th grade. They sell the books, if you need them, and a course plan with tests, as well. Here's a link: Kolbe 11th grade lit

The books they cover are Song of Roland, Beowulf, Dream of the Rood, Sir Gaiwan and the Green Knight, Dante's Divine Comedy, The Canterbury Tales, Milton's Paradise Lost & Paradise Regained, and several of Shakespeare's works. I bought their course plan and have found it very helpful, even though we have made a few substitutions of works. For instance, we're not planning to cover Dante and are adding in Geoffrey of Monmouth's Histories of the Kings of Britain.

For Medieval Age literature dd read:

Song of Roland

Sir Gwain and the Green Knight - Tolkein translation

Beowulf - Seamus Heany Translation

St. Benedictine's Rule

St. Augustine's Confessions

followed by Renaissance literature - Lots of Shakespeare, some modern biographies of reformers - Luther and Wycliffe, a brief overview of Leonardo Da Vinci's work (can't remember the title of the book), Dante's Inferno, Pilgrim's Progress, and The Canterbury Tales.

We used portions of Spielvogel's Western Civ and Human Odyssey as well as one of my sister's college history books from a class she took on the Middle Ages.

Faith