Menu

Algebra Help

I have been reviewing post about the subject but I am still unsure of how to proceed. My son is 13 and wants to go into a career that will require math. It would be great if he could do calculus before going to college. He is very math minded. I started him with Videotext algebra and he seems to be doing well although the limited practice problems scare me a bit but then he is doing well so far. We are half way through B. Here is my delima He is the oldest of 6 and it is a very expensive program so although it would work for him I have a hard time justifing spending $600 dollars for a program that most likely not work for all my kids. The next two in line struggle with math a lot and I have read that it is not good for these type of kids.

What would you suggest? For those that have used videotext is it worth the price and what would you suggest for my kids who aren't good in math.

If you have another program I would be open to that.

Thanks

Annmarie

I don't think you can beat Art of Problem Solving courses for a good math student (http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/). But I think the AOPS courses would be terrible for a student who doesn't love math. I also have very differently-abled kids with regards to math, too, so much so that my 11 year old son is working about 3 grade levels ahead of his 15 year old sister. She does Life of Fred and ALEKS; he does Art of Problem Solving. Both courses are a good deal cheaper than the course you're using. Good luck!

I suggest looking at Foerster's text. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-I-Expressions-Equations-Applications/dp/0201860945/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316434463&sr=8-1

You can purchase the text used for $20 or so. The text includes really great explanations, but if you'd still like a video option, look at this Math Without Borders dvd companion which sells for $70.

http://www.mathwithoutborders.com/Algebra-I/index.html

Foerster also offers an Algebra II text and Math Without Borders offers a companion DVD.

Just another option that's a bit more price sensitive.

ETA: While the Foerster's text maybe more challenging for a less math interested kid, it has a solid traditional scope and sequence that can be adjusted for a less able student. You could use the text with some modifications (skipping the more challenging problems/word problems and chapters).

Also, the book includes large problem sets so you'll never run out of practice problems. The answers to odd numbered problems are in the back of the book. A complete solutions manual is also available. The Math Without Borders site gives information about the purchase of that.

Edited by Stacy in NJ