Menu

Homeschooling in Colorado

We just moved to Colorado. We registered with an independent school (Home Life Academy) and while we do report grades twice a year, we are exempt from all testing, portfolios, etc. Very easy!

A lot of people here send letters of intent (or maybe they are "letters of notice" I can't remember) to the local school district (and you can send it to any district you want, which I find odd). I haven't heard of any problems. I think most people do it that way so their children can participate in a program that's remarkably popular, called "Options." It's a once a week "enrichment" program run by the public schools for homeschoolers. Each one offers different classes, which I'm sure someone else can tell you more about.

There are a lot of things to do in our area (Denver) and we have found it to be very homeschool friendly.

We just moved to CO in the spring. It is a piece of cake compared to PA where we moved from. When I called the district to inquire about homeschooling before we moved here I kept asking her what else and she was like no that is all. I was pleasantly surprised.

We filed a letter of intent with the school district, just giving basic info about the child and if you are schooling based on hours or days. Then you just need to do the standardized testing and submit the scores at I think 3,5,7,9. There are a lot of umbrella schools out here. We did not have these in PA. They keep your records and help with the testing, so that you do not need to interact directly with the school district.

We're still young here yet, so I don't know much, but Colorado seems to be homeschool-friendy enough for us. :) At third grade and every odd grade after that you have to do ITBS testing. We haven't had to do that yet.

OPTIONS is something we do participate in and love it! We go every Thursday from 8:15am to 3:15pm. Many areas offer this homeschool enrichment program. It offers the free standardized tests and free curriculum and so much more! You don't even have to state you're a homeschooler, but you just should, since it keeps our official numbers up.

There are tons of supportive homeschooling groups. We're in the Boulder area and there is always something going on. Even in the mountains there are plenty of us up here to get together now and then, and the flatlanders join us for hikes once a year.