Menu

Word Roots or Vocabulary - which is more beneficial?

We've started using Word Roots and I think it's helpful.

Then I perused the Wordly Wise sample, which focuses more on straight vocabulary buildling.

Which would you say is more beneficial for 9th grade? Word Roots are building blocks, but Wordly Wise seems to expand vocabulary and prepare your student for the SAT.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I never used Word Roots, but my guys did use both books of English from the Roots Up back in their middle school days. (It covered the most common Greek and Latin roots.) We've done Wordly Wise every year. Last year when middle son was taking the ACT he thanked me for having him complete the Wordly Wise Book 11 before his test saying there were several words on the test.

One key to it is making sure students continue to use the words they learn and don't just "learn and forget" which is so common. Repetitive use afterward (occasional - not meaning beat them to death) is what really helps them "know" the words.

We just use the workbooks for Word Roots and it works out to about one set of roots a week. This year we are making flash cards with the root on the front and definition on back. About every six weeks we will self quiz with our card collection. I can't speak to the other products, our goal is a simple visit to it weekly.

I second what was said about trying to use the words from Wordly Wise. D usually has a favorite word from each week I will see appear in her writing or conversation.

There are two series, Wordly Wise 3000 and Wordly Wise. What is the difference and which did you use?

Yes, I agree about using those words. We're actually good about throwing them into our vocabulary or making little word games.

Thanks for sharing!

I never used Word Roots, but my guys did use both books of English from the Roots Up back in their middle school days. (It covered the most common Greek and Latin roots.) We've done Wordly Wise every year. Last year when middle son was taking the ACT he thanked me for having him complete the Wordly Wise Book 11 before his test saying there were several words on the test.

One key to it is making sure students continue to use the words they learn and don't just "learn and forget" which is so common. Repetitive use afterward (occasional - not meaning beat them to death) is what really helps them "know" the words.

Wordly Wise 3000 or Wordly Wise?

Thanks!

We just use the workbooks for Word Roots and it works out to about one set of roots a week. This year we are making flash cards with the root on the front and definition on back. About every six weeks we will self quiz with our card collection. I can't speak to the other products, our goal is a simple visit to it weekly.

I second what was said about trying to use the words from Wordly Wise. D usually has a favorite word from each week I will see appear in her writing or conversation.

We used the newer set which is Wordly Wise 3000 I believe.

When you get a little closer to testing, I also highly recommend The Elements of Style by Strunk and White.

http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-Fourth-William-Strunk/dp/020530902X

It's a short little book with quickie reviews about usage and such things. I suppose you don't actually have to wait until you get closer to testing as it could be useful at any time. I just bought it as a test review book and middle son highly recommends it. He did VERY well on the English portion of the ACT. ;)

Vocab and usage are both needed. Vocab can be learned via reading high level books as well as Wordly Wise, of course.