Menu

Gifted children and overexcitables?

sditz1

I have read about this on the boards here. My daughter is 5 almost 6, sensative to sounds, like loud sounds she starts to cry and gets all work up about it. Anyone else have that. Also she doesn't look directly at others most of the time when talking, but she does love to talk. She rambles on and on about her favorite games, tv show, books and so on. When it comes to reading she is an excellent reader, but to read outloud to anyone else but me is a big fight with her, its like shes afraid to. Same goes with her poems from FLL she memorizes them fast says them to me, but won't when it comes to her own family listening even if they are not in the same room, she doesn't want them to hear her. If she is in a situation she doesn't want be or some place she doesn't want to be, all of a sudden she claims she's tired and puts on a glummy face and I know she isn't tired at all. There's probably more but those are some examples. Oh and she is very creative, loves to write and draw. She is to smart common sense wise maybe too much for almost 6. Can anyone else relate to this? She is thriving in homeschooling, but do have concerns of how she will be in socializing as she gets older.

Thanks

Susan

I don't have any insights for your situation, but to share my son does similar things...

While riding his bike in the park he wanted to stop and go home because he was afraid people would look at him (a frequent claim) "People will think I am silly, or look funny" a man at the super market seemed to be talking funny across the room ( I didn't think so) so my son became frightened and wanted to leave. He is a bit overly observant, sometimes to a fault. He is very shy in groups of kids. We went to the park today and immediately saw some kids playing soccer on the field and told us he didn't want to go to that park. He does not like team sports due to performance anxiety I think.

My husband and I have gotten more understanding of him and do not push him into social situations that produce anxiety. If he wants a cookie or a sticker from the checker at the store he does need to ask himself. He will gather up enough gumption for that usually because he wants it bad enough. In my opinion, he will probably be like this as an adult too, because my husband is, so why give anxiety to try and change it. I teach him manners and give opportunities for social things with people he knows.

~Roanna

I have read about this on the boards here. My daughter is 5 almost 6, sensative to sounds, like loud sounds she starts to cry and gets all work up about it. Anyone else have that. Also she doesn't look directly at others most of the time when talking, but she does love to talk. She rambles on and on about her favorite games, tv show, books and so on. When it comes to reading she is an excellent reader

<snip>

Oh and she is very creative, loves to write and draw. She is to smart common sense wise maybe too much for almost 6. Can anyone else relate to this? She is thriving in homeschooling, but do have concerns of how she will be in socializing as she gets older.

This sounds like a possible Asperger's profile to me. I would watch for signs over the next few years and consider an eval later on down the road if you think it fits with her. Of course, go sooner if significant behaviors arise. Feel free to PM me with questions. I have 3 daughters with Asperger's.

Until you got to the creative part, you described my oldest son perfectly (he's very logical, but not creative... my younger is creative). He's been exactly like that since he was 4 months old. At first, I considered aspbergers, but we later found out it was just OE's. I wish I had answers for you. We've spoken to three psychologists and two audiologists. We've been told it's not something he'll outgrow, he'll just learn to deal with it in his own ways. ... and to some extent, he has. He's still extremely sensitive to sound, especially if it involves a chaotic situation (like a classroom or public shopping area or concert), but if I'm able to anticipate a situation, I can usually calm him and prepare him enough to make it through. Still, it's tough to have a child nearly as tall as you wanting to cry on you in public. :(

My oldest son is the "no, no, no" side of OE's. My younger is the "gimme more, gimme more, gimme more" side ... which is very dangerous at times. Again, both have been that way since the day they were born! *sigh*

Edited by 2smartones