Menu

phonetic zoo

min

Hi everyone

I'm looking to move to Phonetic Zoo for one of my kids who has a great auditory memory. We're afterschoolers, and I'm hoping that it will work to do it in the car on our 15-20 minute commute to/from school. We're currently doing AAS (which I love), but I can't think of any way to do that in the car!

My questions:

Is it really independent? I'll be driving so I can't be too "hands on" with the helping.

Is it realistic to do it in the car? I'm realistic about neatness/car bumping etc.

Does it really only take 10 minutes? Or is it 10 minutes of audio and then another 10 minutes of writing?

It looks as though the English/American spellings are addressed, but I can't see how that works. We need English spellings as we're Australian.

Thanks!

Min

It has been working great for my daughter who is an auditory learner. It is completely independent for her with no assistance from me at all. I don't even look at her work. I would estimate it takes her 15 minutes to get through it including set up time. It is not messy at all, just the audio source and a piece of paper to write on. HTH

Thank you.

I found this list of variations between Canadian/US/British spellings (we mostly use the British spellings here). If those are anything to go by, it sounds like the main issues will be ise/ize (recognise) and the ce/se noun/verb thing (licence/license), and then the odd word like cosy, kerb, lasagne and tyre.

http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/BritishCanadianAmerican.htm

Min

One of my boys uses PZ. It has made a huge improvement in his spelling. The program really is self directing, and does take only about 10 minutes.

According to my son, for words where there are two spellings the CD will say the American spelling and then say "the Canadian spelling" is ....

I have recommended this program to many Moms, especially those with auditory learners.