Menu

Great Books emphasis vs. Sonlight-type emphasis

My oldest son is in year 3 of Schola Classical Tutorials' Great Books course. It's exactly what I want for him to be taking, but I feel like he's missing out on tons of books that are typical for hs students to be reading. My understanding is that parents of kids in these Great Books classes are counting the class for 2.5-3 credits (1 English, 1 History, 1/2 philosophy or something of the sort.) So if your kids have taken classes like these through high school, did that encompass *everything* you felt like they needed for high school English and History? Or did you feel like you needed to add in extra English and History classes to cover all your bases? As an example, I don't think there's any Shakespeare covered in Schola's Great Books program. I don't find that to be a fault with the Great Books course of study, yet I feel like I'm missing something if I leave out Shakespeare and countless other authors. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Okay, I'm not familiar with this program and am using this web page to see what the student studies in year one:

http://astore.amazon.com/scholaclassicalt?_encoding=UTF8&node=1

If that is accurate, then I would say unless the program provides a whole lot more supplementary materials for history. There's just enough coverage of history and it is lacking modern historians. Although reading ancient historians can be very informative, most historians would want you to know that ancient histories are not consider very accurate.

On the other hand I think that you could easily credit a year of lit and at least 1/2 of philosophy (maybe more for year one).