Menu

Plimoth Planation anyone?!?!

We were considering heading back to Colonial Williamsburg next year but then I stumbled across Plimoth Plantation in Massachusetts and wondered if anyone has visited there?

Tips/advice/how to stay overnight/week/a few days inexpensively?

All and any info is helpful and appreciated!

Would anyone not recommend Plimoth over Williamsburg?

Plymouth is a great area...there's also the Plymouth (pebble) Rock and Mayflower II. The rock is free, the Mayflower is usually included with entrance to the plantation. In my experience, a reasonably full day is all you need for the whole shebang. I drove in from my (then) home in MA, so I don't know about staying there or anything, but since it's coastal, there'll be lots of places and other things to do--not to mention the cape is right there with all of the lighthouses and other things to see/do.

It's really wonderful--very interactive. I haven't been to Colonial Williamsburg, but I think it's MUCH bigger.

Hope that helps!

We're actually headed there in two weeks! I've been to both places before and think that seeing both is the best way to go. It is great to see the progress from Plimouth to Williamsburg and to give your kids the chance to experience them both. We're totally excited. Our trip starts in Boston and Plimouth and then we will work our way down the coast and end up at Jamestown and Williamsburg.

We went to Plimouth in 2009, I haven't been to any other places but we thoroughly enjoyed it. Both the Wampanoag village and the settlers village were incredibly educational for all of us, we loved the way the pilgrims were totally in character.... Just don't make the mistake we did and get stuck at the back of a church during a sermon!!! In the end we snuck out LOL

We drove from Narraganset RI that day, and saw PP, and spent about 4 hours there and just had time to get to the Mayflower which was fairly disappointing and very run down, but the size was interesting and it was worth the 30mins we were there. We were extremely lucky to be there on Homeschooling day, they had special bags of information prepared and extra events etc on (most of which we missed by not getting there until about lunchtime)

I live very near Plimouth Plantation. It's very nicely done, and there is lots to see. It's definitely only a day trip, though: I don't think I'd plan a whole vacation around it. It is, however, only a bit more than an hour from Boston, so if you're planning a Boston trip it's a nice day trip out of the city.