Menu

High school Latin for beginner; WWYD?

Let me preface this by saying we started our school year last week, so clearly I am late to finalizing this decision!

Last year was my now 9th grader's first year homeschooling. I already owned LFC A, so I just used that with both boys since I wasn't concerned with awarding credit and just wanted something easy (for me!) for our transition year. We only made it through part of book A because we weren't doing it consistently. It was a bit of a slacker year.

When I was trying to decide what to use for Latin this year, I found the info on Classical Academic Press' webpage that suggested that LFC A and B could be used together to constitute a high school credit. "Great! I'll just buy B and have him do A+B." Then I started worrying whether that would REALLY be sufficient. Couple of used curriculum sales later and I found myself the owner of Latin for Children B, the Power-Glide high school set, AND several of the Oxford Latin books (I have a curriculum problem.) "Great! Sixth grader can stick with LFC and the high-schooler can do the Power-Glide set, we can look at the Oxford books for additional info if necessary and we will be ALL SET."

Then I started researching Power-Glide and questioning whether THAT was sufficient, since what I am reading suggests it is light on grammar. I like that my son could do it completely independently. My own Latin knowledge is limited to whatever is in LFC A lesson 10, and I don't know how good the Oxford books are for self-teaching.

So, WWYD? I would like to be able to use the resources I already own (so we can start Latin tomorrow) but I am wiling to buy something else if necessary. I was looking at Artes Latinae because it looks like something he could do completely on his own (but does it offer an advantage over Power Glide, which again I already own?) I also looked at Latin Alive since it looks like it would have a similar format to what he's used to from LFC and would also be possible for him to do on his own with the videos. I see there are CDs available for Oxford Latin and I could/would buy those if we decide to make Oxford the primary text for his Latin studies (but I don't have them yet, or the teacher's book.)

FWIW this is a math-science kid who isn't your typical "classical scholar." In other words, he is willing to work hard at math, science, and computer science but wants to breeze through other topics with as little work as possible. :-P HE just wants to stick with LFC because that's what he started with, and it's fun and easy. Honestly, I don't want to torture either of us over it, either, but I do want it to be rigorous enough that I can legitimately call it Latin I.

If you've read this far through my ramblings, I thank you! I'm trying to sort this all out in my own head. I would welcome any feedback!

Thanks,

Amy

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I'm sure regular readers of this board are tired of the "which Latin" question. I searched this board for a long time before posting my question, but that only made me more indecisive! Sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I thought of having the 9th grader to continue doing the LFC series, which would give him some grammar, and then also have him do the Power-Glide lessons so I feel like he's using SOMEthing that's allegedly high-school level! We're already doing double maths and lots of language arts on top of his LLfLOTR, though, so as I sit here doing next week's schedule I worry whether we're really going to have time to do two Latin courses!

Amy

Let me preface this by saying we started our school year last week, so clearly I am late to finalizing this decision!

Last year was my now 9th grader's first year homeschooling. I already owned LFC A, so I just used that with both boys since I wasn't concerned with awarding credit and just wanted something easy (for me!) for our transition year. We only made it through part of book A because we weren't doing it consistently. It was a bit of a slacker year.

When I was trying to decide what to use for Latin this year, I found the info on Classical Academic Press' webpage that suggested that LFC A and B could be used together to constitute a high school credit. "Great! I'll just buy B and have him do A+B." Then I started worrying whether that would REALLY be sufficient. Couple of used curriculum sales later and I found myself the owner of Latin for Children B, the Power-Glide high school set, AND several of the Oxford Latin books (I have a curriculum problem.) "Great! Sixth grader can stick with LFC and the high-schooler can do the Power-Glide set, we can look at the Oxford books for additional info if necessary and we will be ALL SET."

Then I started researching Power-Glide and questioning whether THAT was sufficient, since what I am reading suggests it is light on grammar. I like that my son could do it completely independently. My own Latin knowledge is limited to whatever is in LFC A lesson 10, and I don't know how good the Oxford books are for self-teaching.

So, WWYD? I would like to be able to use the resources I already own (so we can start Latin tomorrow) but I am wiling to buy something else if necessary. I was looking at Artes Latinae because it looks like something he could do completely on his own (but does it offer an advantage over Power Glide, which again I already own?) I also looked at Latin Alive since it looks like it would have a similar format to what he's used to from LFC and would also be possible for him to do on his own with the videos. I see there are CDs available for Oxford Latin and I could/would buy those if we decide to make Oxford the primary text for his Latin studies (but I don't have them yet, or the teacher's book.)

FWIW this is a math-science kid who isn't your typical "classical scholar." In other words, he is willing to work hard at math, science, and computer science but wants to breeze through other topics with as little work as possible. :-P HE just wants to stick with LFC because that's what he started with, and it's fun and easy. Honestly, I don't want to torture either of us over it, either, but I do want it to be rigorous enough that I can legitimately call it Latin I.

If you've read this far through my ramblings, I thank you! I'm trying to sort this all out in my own head. I would welcome any feedback!

Thanks,

Amy

First you need to decide what your goal is for your son and Latin. For me I wanted my 9th grader to learn Latin words which will help his vocabulary and to read Latin. I was not interested in being able to speak it or write it, nether will ever be used except in college if he took Latin after that I couldn't thing of any reason he would use it.I also wanted his study to be enough to use as a foreign language credits. Once I figured out my goal I was able to ask the Hive for help.

So what is your goal for your son and Latin?

I forgot to mention, we are using Lingua Latina Pars I: Familia Romana which is a Latin Primer and Lingua Latina: A College Companion which includes grammar and vocabulary. The hive recommended these and they are great. I am doing this along with my son (which tells you it is easy). One benefit I am finding is the more we read the book and translate it the grammar is being learned as well.

Other options are First Form Latin from Memoria Press and The Latin Road to English Grammar. First Form is probably the best because it presents concepts in bite-size pieces, and you can buy dvds to teach the course. Both of these courses are traditional Latin courses that lay a foundation of vocabulary and grammar before doing extensive translation. Like teaching math facts before equations.