Menu

SAT II physics/chemistry- which prep book?

College confidential has a few forums where kids have offered specific recommendations. From what I've read, the best practice tests are the old actual SAT2 exams from the College Board, but there aren't many of these available. The College Board sells a couple SAT2 prep books, but they don't include too many practice exams.

From what I remember from a few years back with my older son on the Chem & Physics exams, I think that the Kaplan books tend to have easy tests -- easier than the actual test and can give the student a false sense of security. The Barron's books are supposed to be harder than the actual test, but are reported to contain errors. The Princeton Review books are supposed to contain tests of approximately the same difficulty level as the reals exams.

HTH,

Brenda

Which of the prep books would you recommend for a student to prepare for the SATII in physics and chemistry? This is for test prep review only; the student will have taken a rigorous course in each subject and have her textbooks available.

Thanks

My son took the SAT II in physics last year, but he hasn't taken the chemistry yet.

For physics he used the following resources:

Sparknotes - free on-line prep for SAT II physics

The Princeton Review book

The big blue College Board book. (Unfortunately, the entire book only contained one physics test.)