Menu

Question about teen son and chicken pox and vaccination.

My 19 year old son will soon be volunteering in a clinic - lots of kids there, in and out each day.

He has had his childhood vaccines but has never had chicken pox and never been vaccinated. I am thinking he should get those before he starts his volunteer work. Is there anything that you all think we should know? Like, should he get both vaccines before he starts or is the initial vaccine enough to start ... Should he get other vaccines too, like the meningitis one my younger children had to get for ps?

Any insight is appreciated - thanks!

I think your best bet is to talk to your family doctor, not the hive. The doc knows your son and his history.

Maybe usually, for normal people lol! But not for us. We have moved about 15 times in the last 20 years and the doctors at our (current) local clinic change often.

Also, (frankly) many times doctors say what they are mandated to according to the current administration. Which doesn't even alert us moms to alternatives.

I ask the hive, and research myself first so we can go in and talk to the doctor with some knowledge of our options. I want to know others experiences and options, to make an educated decision rather than depending on only what the flow chart allows the doctor to say/advise.

(Ria, I appreciate your post really and the above is not meant to be snarky. We are having several health issues recently and I am frustrated at the lack of resources here)

Edited by 5KidzRUs

Get a titer first. He may have been exposed and just not gotten ill.

As far as chicken pox, I absolutely would get a titer. I just got one (third pregnancy, thought it might be time), and discovered that I have immunity, though I have never actually had chicken pox. I felt magical. :tongue_smilie:

Maybe usually, but not for us. We have moved about 15 times in the last 20 years and the doctors at our (current) local clinic change often.

Also, (frankly) many times doctors say what they are mandated to according to the current administration. Which doesn't even alert us moms to alternatives.

I ask the hive, and research myself first so we can go in and talk to the doctor with some knowledge of our options. I want to know others experiences and options, to make an educated decision rather than depending on only what the flow chart allows the doctor to say/advise.

Ah, I get it. Then, yes, the hive mind will work wonders! :lol:

The titer is an easy, usually inexpensive test. It wouldn't hurt to check. otherwise, yes, I'd get him immunized. When I was in college, chicken pox spread through campus, hitting kids who hadn't had it yet, and it was miserable to have as a young adult, and mostly more severe cases than I'd seen in children (and living in Navy housing, people used to bring kids to my RN mom rather than wait for hours on end at the base clinic, so I saw a lot of kids with chicken pox).

As far as chicken pox, I absolutely would get a titer. I just got one (third pregnancy, thought it might be time), and discovered that I have immunity, though I have never actually had chicken pox. I felt magical. :tongue_smilie:

OK, I will see if they allow a titer. I asked about a titer a few years ago when they lost my other sons medical records and they said they would not do a titer on a family member. I assume it was because of the cost.