Menu

Another AAS Question

Jamauk

I bought AAS 1 for my older son. He is a strong reader, and his spelling is decent, but not as strong as I'd like (he'd be doing fine in PS, though) :glare:

We're stuck on step 1 becasue of the vowels. He's spot on with the consonants, and can get the basic short & long sounds of the vowels, but the other vowels sounds stump him.

He'll get them eventually, but he's not getting them BOOM, BOOM, BOOM as soon as I pull the card out (as the TG suggests he needs to do before moving on). He's getting very bored. He wants to move on with the rest of the lessons.

Because he's older and has some spelling experience, I'm inclined to let him move forward and just continue reviewing the vowel sounds every day.

For those that have used AAS, does this sound like an OK plan?

Actually, the teacher's manual says that you can go on even if you're still reviewing some of the phonogram sounds. Just keep reviewing phonograms once at the beginning of each lesson until he knows them.

Most of AAS1 just uses the short vowel sounds, with a brief introduction to long vowel sounds in the last lesson.