Menu

Can eggs be frozen?

We just bought some eggs at the store, and when we got home discovered (upon going to crack one) that they were frozen almost solid. Will they still be good to eat plain? Use in baking? Or should I return them?

They aren't frozen anymore, they have thawed on my counter and are now in the fridge.

We just bought some eggs at the store, and when we got home discovered (upon going to crack one) that they were frozen almost solid. Will they still be good to eat plain? Use in baking? Or should I return them?

They aren't frozen anymore, they have thawed on my counter and are now in the fridge.

The yolks will change consistency rather significantly (they'll get rubbery) from freezing, so you'll not enjoy using them at all.

Well, I learned this this past winter because I bought two pallets of eggs at Costco and left them out in the garage a little too long during the coldest part of winter... most of the winter we can leave them out there and they are kept perfectly cool but this time they froze. I still used them for baking. They were strange in consistency but they worked. I wouldn't have eaten them scrambled or fried or on their own but they still served their purpose for baking. Let them come to room temperature (or close) before trying though.