Menu

Elemental Science (Physics) Ordering Question

I've just started Elemental Science Physics with DS10, and would say that the recommended books are fairly essential. It seems quite advanced so far - it's covering work DS12 did at school just six months ago. We've already done Elemental Science Biology, and Earth Science and Astronomy, modules and really loved them. Elemental Science does provide a really good framework for grammar stage science studies. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Best wishes

Cassy

May I piggy-back off this thread? I'd love to know a little more about how Elemental Science works. We are finishing off RSO Chemistry with dd8 and will be looking at getting something different next. We were hoping RSO Physics would be completed by then, but there so far isn't any updates on that.

It looks like, from the site, you download the document, or buy the hard copy. What types of materials are within? Do you buy supplemental books for reading? What about extra materials for experiments? Any information to help describe it would be great, or possibly a link to a previous thread that describes it well? TIA!

May I piggy-back off this thread? I'd love to know a little more about how Elemental Science works. We are finishing off RSO Chemistry with dd8 and will be looking at getting something different next. We were hoping RSO Physics would be completed by then, but there so far isn't any updates on that.

It looks like, from the site, you download the document, or buy the hard copy. What types of materials are within? Do you buy supplemental books for reading? What about extra materials for experiments? Any information to help describe it would be great, or possibly a link to a previous thread that describes it well? TIA!

The program itself is basically a schedule with pages to record your experiments and reading summaries. It does not include the actual experiments or reading (the way RSO does). In a typical week, we would read out of the Usborne Science Encyclopedia, fill out a notebook page with summaries and definitions, and do a couple of experiments out of Physics Experiments for Children. All of the books on the booklist are necessary for the program.

Here is a link to the physics sample pages. It includes both the teacher pages and student pages for a full two weeks of lessons. It also has a book list and supply list for the full year.

The program itself is basically a schedule with pages to record your experiments and reading summaries. It does not include the actual experiments or reading (the way RSO does). In a typical week, we would read out of the Usborne Science Encyclopedia, fill out a notebook page with summaries and definitions, and do a couple of experiments out of Physics Experiments for Children. All of the books on the booklist are necessary for the program.

Here is a link to the physics sample pages. It includes both the teacher pages and student pages for a full two weeks of lessons. It also has a book list and supply list for the full year.

Thank you Bonnie! It sounds like you have experience with both programs? My husband is the one that does science with dd. I know he really likes RSO, so I'm not sure what he would think of a different style. Having had experience with both, do you prefer one over the other? I'd love to pass any information onto my husband so we can decide what direction to go. Thanks!

Thank you Bonnie! It sounds like you have experience with both programs? My husband is the one that does science with dd. I know he really likes RSO, so I'm not sure what he would think of a different style. Having had experience with both, do you prefer one over the other? I'd love to pass any information onto my husband so we can decide what direction to go. Thanks!

I have done partial years of both. I didn't care for RSO Life the first time I did it (when my oldest was 7). But I am back to doing it with my boys, and I like it much better this time. I think I prefer it to Elemental Science. Of course, I have heard that Pandia Press has no intention of putting out RSO Physics any time soon, so that doesn't really help.

I only did about 12 weeks of ES Physics before I decided that we needed to drop it. I am reluctant to post my criticisms of the program here, but here is a post where I talk about my frustrations with it. Personally, I prefer more reading and fewer experiments/write-ups. I have always drooled over NOEO, but I never managed to take the plunge with it. That might be a third option for you to look at.

Before you buy ES, I would try to get the main resources that she uses from the library (the Usborne Science Ecyclopedia, Physics Experiments for Children, and Gizmos and Gadgets) and see how you like them, since you will be using them week after week. Then don't be afraid to skip half the writing assignments, if they seem like too much.

I really, strongly disliked the Usborne Science Encyclopedia. I've now bought the Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Science, and it seems to have many of the same topics, but it's much easier on my eyes. I think that if I were to go back to ES in the future I would try to coordinate the Illustrated Dictionary to her lesson plans.

I have done partial years of both. I didn't care for RSO Life the first time I did it (when my oldest was 7). But I am back to doing it with my boys, and I like it much better this time. I think I prefer it to Elemental Science. Of course, I have heard that Pandia Press has no intention of putting out RSO Physics any time soon, so that doesn't really help.

I only did about 12 weeks of ES Physics before I decided that we needed to drop it. I am reluctant to post my criticisms of the program here, but here is a post where I talk about my frustrations with it. Personally, I prefer more reading and fewer experiments/write-ups. I have always drooled over NOEO, but I never managed to take the plunge with it. That might be a third option for you to look at.

Before you buy ES, I would try to get the main resources that she uses from the library (the Usborne Science Ecyclopedia, Physics Experiments for Children, and Gizmos and Gadgets) and see how you like them, since you will be using them week after week. Then don't be afraid to skip half the writing assignments, if they seem like too much.

I really, strongly disliked the Usborne Science Encyclopedia. I've now bought the Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Science, and it seems to have many of the same topics, but it's much easier on my eyes. I think that if I were to go back to ES in the future I would try to coordinate the Illustrated Dictionary to her lesson plans.

Thank you Bonnie. That's really helpful. I wonder what the deal is with RSO Physics? Of course they don't even allow you to contact them to ask about it! We love the program so much, so it's disappointing. I think we'll plan to do Life with ds5 and Earth and Space with both, in hopes that Physics will come out in the next year, and if not, we'll have to find something else to move onto!