Menu

Movie/documentary Revolutionary War -- best of the best?

If you could only watch one movie on the Revolutionary War, in a group of five 11th graders, which one would you choose, and why?

And, if you suspected at least one of those 11th graders tended a bit more toward the "protected conservative" point of view, would you hesitate to show your selection? ;)

"Liberty! The American Revolution" would be my choice. I thought PBS did a great job with this documentary, and DS and I really enjoyed watching it. A companion site here also has a teacher's guide with discussion questions and additional info. I would not hesitate to show this one to those of a conservative persuasion - especially since I would expect 11th graders to be up to dealing with a wide variety of viewpoints. You might have some interesting discussions!

"Liberty! The American Revolution" would be my choice. I thought PBS did a great job with this documentary, and DS and I really enjoyed watching it. A companion site here also has a teacher's guide with discussion questions and additional info. I would not hesitate to show this one to those of a conservative persuasion - especially since I would expect 11th graders to be up to dealing with a wide variety of viewpoints. You might have some interesting discussions!

I also really love Liberty! and showed it to my kids back when we did Am Rev four years ago, when they were lower elementary. Nothing problematic that I can remember.

But the other movie we dearly love, to the point that it gets quoted about once a week by someone in the family is 1776. It is a musical about the Declaration of Independence. The conflict is between the different colonial reps who are for or against independency. It even touches on the issue of slavery.

The Crossing is another really good movie about crossing the Delaware river.

I also really love Liberty! and showed it to my kids back when we did Am Rev four years ago, when they were lower elementary. Nothing problematic that I can remember.

But the other movie we dearly love, to the point that it gets quoted about once a week by someone in the family is 1776. It is a musical about the Declaration of Independence. The conflict is between the different colonial reps who are for or against independency. It even touches on the issue of slavery.

The Crossing is another really good movie about crossing the Delaware river.

Second for 1776. This is us. In fact sometimes we spontaneously burst into song. One of dd17's friends lives on Richard Lee street and that allows deserves a 'here a Lee, there a Lee". :lol: