Menu

What level of Shurley Grammar?

ShelzNH

My son will be third grade next year but we have done very little grammar. We did FLL in first grade but nothing this past year. I just wanted to focus on his reading and spelling. So should we start with Shurley Grammar 1 ? He knows very basic stuff like when to capitalize, the defininition of a noun and proper nouns. He doesn't really remmember verbs etc... thanks!

I would start with either level 1 or 2. I know that level 1 is too much for a 1st grader so I tell people to start level 1 in 2nd grade and go from there. SO that would put level 2 in 3rd grade. I think it is good to start from the beginning though cause it builds on itself.

Your child will have no problem. It is the mom who has to struggle through learning how the program works. Then it is easy! Have fun with it.

:iagree: The only grammar my dd knew was a noun and we began Shurley 3 this last year. She just finished it with not even one issue all year. She was a third grader so I thought, naturally, 3rd grade book. NOPE! She did so well at it, we are jumping to the 6th grade book for next year. A good rule of thumb with Shurley is to do every other year because each year only adds on 2-3 new concepts. When I laid them all side by side, Shurley 6 still had enough review that I felt we could do it w/o issue.