Menu

How would I find math or science clubs...

in my area? I am trying to find a homeschool group that offers Science Olympiads or something similar for the middle school and high school grades. I have searched online and can't find anything in my area.

Starting a group with other families would be fine if I could find others that would be interested.

I am in Jacksonville, FL.

Thank you,

Rene

I would search out local groups with high schoolers. In my area, there are huge high school co-ops, smaller broad age range co-ops, and local support groups where some families have high schoolers. The more you can talk to those folks, the more you'll find out what's going on in other areas.

I'd also talk to the math & science teachers at any co-ops you find.

If you have a particular program you want to be a part of, like Science Olympiad maybe, you could contact the program and ask to have your name forwarded to local participants.

And finally, in Minnesota there are a couple of homeschool yahoo groups where folks ask about activities, as well as an extensive list of groups published by MACHE. Maybe you have similar resources in your area.

Julie

Honestly, I would contact your local public and private schools to see if they have an established program you can join. My experience with my son's passion has been that the homeschool community is not large enough to find a sufficient number of reliable participants. Of course, Jacksonville, being larger, may be different.

Here is the list of FL Science Olympiad participants. Perhaps you will recognize one of these schools.

HTH!