Menu

Grade 9 math questions

Guest ryan_c

My eldest DD is starting grade 9 this year. She has used Saxon for the past 3 years and last year she was very bored, but still doing quite well. This year we switched to TT on a friends recommendation. Well it seems like that is far to easy for her. Now I am clueless on what to do, but need to act quickly since our school year is starting next Tuesday. I would like to find a solid Algebra program for her.

PLEASE HELP

TIA,

Ryan

I guess I should add that the main issue I had with Saxon was that she was starting to hate math, and that is the last thing I want for her, since it has been such a strong subject for her.

Edited by ryan_c

I don't know if you would be interested in something like this, but we just started the http://www.liveonlinemath.com Video Plus Algebra course and it really is excellent. The teacher has written the course and only uses the text for problems (his answer key). Students watch video lessons and then have a one hour class once a week. Sample videos are available online. The once a week class allows for interaction with other students.

What Saxon texts did she do?

If she has done either 8/7 or Algebra 1/2, she should be ready for algebra. If she didn't like Saxon because it moved too slowly, it's possible that she could have moved more quickly. 7/6 and 8/7 are rather similar in content except for the last 30 lessons or so which are totally new material. Their algebra texts don't have mental math or facts practice, so that might solve another problem if she found those too repetitive. :)

She has completed Algebra 1/2.

Thank you everyone so much for the suggestions. :)

If she did 8/7 before Algebra 1/2, she would have found it to be very repetitive. The only reason to do that one after 8/7 is if they had some difficulty or aren't ready for algebra. I wouldn't give up on Saxon as their high school texts are excellent and have the added bonus of not needing a separate geometry text. JMO :)

Looking through the concepts taught in TT Algebra I and Algebra II, I realized that if you combine BOTH courses you only have the concepts taught in Algebra I from both Saxon and A Beka. TT Algebra I is only comparable to a standard Pre-algebra course. I know I'll be slammed on this board for making this statement, but it is a fact that I've looked at the table of contents and looked through the lessons and that's what I have found. I personally would get her out of TT.