Menu

How to plan for high school

My son is in the 6th grade. He has dyslexia. He has 2 older brothers that do not have dyslexia. I am hoping to eventually use the same curriculum with him that they are using but am unsure if he will be able to do it.

How do you handle the high school years? Do dyslexics ever get to the point that they can do regular high school work?

He is in 6th grade and is currently doing:

Advanced Language Lessons

Writing with Ease 4 week 15

All About Spellling 4

Singapore Primary Math 5A

Elementary Apologia Zoology 2

MFW Creation to Greeks

English from the Roots Up Greek roots

I plan to have him do all of the AAS books

Writing With Skill once he completes WWE

I read the history and Science books to him. He reads fairly well. He is currently reading Where the Red Fern Grows but he is listening to the recording from Learning Ally as he follows along in the book. I have him do the audio books for some books and others he reads on his own.

I was hoping to eventually have him do Saxon Math, Apologia Science, and regular high school. But wonder if he will need to start a year later (or more) than his brothers did.

My dyslexic ds's reading took off around 6th grade - that's when he began reading at grade level. He's currently a rising 9th grader. I'd hold on to the high school materials you have; he might just be ready for them. As an 8th grader ds was able to use Apologia Physical Science.

I'd just make sure he continues to read a lot, and I mean a lot, daily. Reading silently and reading aloud every day. Audio books are a great way to build vocabulary. My ds's vocab tested significantly above grade level the past year - I think because of audio books - and the advanced vocab got him excepted into the honors English class at our ps this year.