Menu

Canning Salsa

I make my own canned salsa, the last couple years I have added corn and black beans to my regular recipe, with a bit of tweaking and processed it the same way- in the water bath canning method for about 5-10 minutes. Each jar was put on the shelf and used up within a year, tasted excellent once it was opened. I was hoping to skip the pressure canning, but stumbled on a website that said if you add corn and black beans you need to pressure can it first before storing. But lots of recipes I read didn't reccomend this, and mine have always turned out fine. However, if it is absolutely necessary I guess I can alter my recipe and add the corn and black beans as I use the salsa (since I don't own a pressure canner). What is the risk, and is it something you would not notice until you got sick?? Occasionally I've had a jar here and there of jam or whatever that spoiled because it didn't seal properly and went unnoticed, but it was quite obvious it was no good so I just tossed it. Is it possible that improperly canned goods can be spoiled without noticing? What are some signs to look for (other than the obvious- lid doesn't pop down, mold growing on top, or funny smelling product)?

So- if you have add in in your salsa (such as corn, beans, etc) do you can your salsa with the water bath method or do you use a pressure canner? THANKS! :)

I'm very new to canning but I know you should always use an approved recipe (adding things like corn and beans is a complete no-no) because the acidity level is very important. Corn and beans are very low acid products and most definitely need to be pressure canned. I believe botulism is one of the reasons and it is not something you would know until you were sick from it (no signs or smells associated with it). I know people have been water bath canning for years and things that were acceptable 30-40-50 years ago are not longer acceptable. Part of it is there is more awareness of safety and part of it is things change over time. For instance the varieties of tomatoes typically available now are much less acidic than those when my grandmother was young, hence the need to add lemon juice when this use to not be the case.

Personally, I would add the corn and salsa afterward. i wouldn't feel comfortable eating anything with corn or beans that was only water bath canned. Even if it didn't make you sick in the past doesn't mean it won't in the future.

If you change or create a recipe the rule is to can it according to the ingredient that has the most processing time. In your case the salsa would need to be pressure canned at the pressure and time for the corn or beans which ever is higher. If you wanted to can stew you would process it as for the meat, etc.

The fear is botulism which is too scary in my mind to take the risk, here are some snips from canning errors :

...When ideal conditions exist for growth, the spores produce vegetative cells which multiply rapidly and may produce a deadly toxin within three to four days of growth in an environment consisting of:

• a moist, low-acid food,
  • a temperature between 40°F and 120°F, and
  • less than 2 percent oxygen.

...Botulism spores are resistant to heat -- even from boiling water -- and thrive in a moist, oxygen-free environment. As botulism spores reproduce, they generate one of the most extraordinarily powerful poisons on earth: one teaspoon-worth is sufficient to kill 100,000 people. Improper home canning creates the perfect environment in which to grow the botulism toxin. Also, because food contaminated by botulism may very well look and smell normal, there is often no warning. That is why home canning must be done properly with extreme care.

...As little as two billionths of a gram of Botulinum Toxin can cause symptoms. Put another way, if you stick your finger into a suspicious can of food and lick it to see if it tastes bad, you may have ingested enough toxin to kill you.

I always follow current canning guidelines (and sometimes still worry).;)