Menu

Algebra I ready after Singapore 6A/6B???

For those of you who have had dc complete Singapore Primary Mathematics through 6A/6B... what were they ready for afterwards?

Is 6A/6B considered pre-algebra? Are students ready for Algebra I? Can they go straight into Singapore DM?

TIA!

Yes, many students are ready for it. I am one who prefers to slowly ease into algebra, particularly as my guys finish 6B in 5th grade, when they don't have the logical thinking skills I consider essential to a good understanding of the subject. So I have them use Lial's Basic College Math in 6th grade, which is a good means of introducing them to more standard textbook math instruction. They review foundational skills, get some exposure to subjects not covered in Singapore (negative numbers), and eventually move on to Lial's Introductory Algebra.

Some kids are ready. I didn't see the need to rush - Algebra by 8th was fine with me.

One of my dds went into DM - that is Singapore's 7th grade program. It does get into some Algebra, but starts with Pre-Algebra. She'll be doing Foersters for 8th.

My other dd I put into BCM because I thought she might need a bit more review, but BCM was too much review. Switched her to Lial's Prealgebra and that was just right. She'll do Lial's Introductory Algebra for 8th.

Depends on the kid. :)

ok, so by finishing 6A/6B they are ready to go into Singapore DM1, correct?

Is 6A/6B considered pre-algebra???

Is Singapore DM 1 considered Algebra I???

6a/b is Singapore's 6th grade program, and DM their 7th grade, so would be a smooth progression.

They don't line up with US labels.

6a/b has a lot of prealgebra, but not always all that is included in a US prealgebra (although Standards has more of it).

DM covers advanced Prealgebra (the bits than weren't in 6a/b), part of Algebra I and part of Geometry.

Here's a summary of the topics covered in the Singapore secondary sequence (from the Singaporemath site's FAQ):

Secondary 1: pre-algebra, some algebra 1 and geometry

Secondary 2: algebra 1 and geometry

Secondary 3: some algebra 2, geometry, some trigonometry

Secondary 4: some advanced topics and review

6a/b is Singapore's 6th grade program, and DM their 7th grade, so would be a smooth progression.

They don't line up with US labels.

6a/b has a lot of prealgebra, but not always all that is included in a US prealgebra (although Standards has more of it).

DM covers advanced Prealgebra (the bits than weren't in 6a/b), part of Algebra I and part of Geometry.

Thanks Matroyshka... that answers my questions about pre algebra to algebra I preparedness. :001_smile:

Here's a summary of the topics covered in the Singapore secondary sequence (from the Singaporemath site's FAQ):

Secondary 1: pre-algebra, some algebra 1 and geometry

Secondary 2: algebra 1 and geometry

Secondary 3: some algebra 2, geometry, some trigonometry

Secondary 4: some advanced topics and review

So, any thoughts on how to make that work on a highschool transcript???

Am I safe in saying we covered Pre-Algebra in 7th, Algebra I in 8th, Geometry in 9th, and Algebra II in 10th???

Am I safe in saying we covered Pre-Algebra in 7th, Algebra I in 8th, Geometry in 9th, and Algebra II in 10th???

You're putting the cart before the horse. At this point, you have no idea what level math your daughter will be doing in 10th grade. Move along with Singapore (if that's your preference) and after the fact, write the transcript in such the way to best reflect which subjects she studied each year.

Colleen,

Thanks for your reply.

I realize that looking that far down the road is a bit like putting the cart before the horse; however, DS loves math and is headed into a math and science field most likely. Whether he ends up completing Singapore DM in 10th or not is to be determined, yet I am wondering how those that use Singapore DM for Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II put that on a transcript in their highschool years, regardless of whether it is completed in 10th or 11th per se. It will also help me to have a rough picture of where we are headed, and make some choices as to other things we may want to use along with Singapore, or go another route altogether. He will finish 6A/6B this year, so I am considering my options thereafter.

Whether he ends up completing Singapore DM in 10th or not is to be determined, yet I am wondering how those that use Singapore DM for Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II put that on a transcript in their highschool years, regardless of whether it is completed in 10th or 11th per se. It will also help me to have a rough picture of where we are headed, and make some choices as to other things we may want to use along with Singapore, or go another route altogether.
I understand, and since I don't use Singapore beyond the primary math materials, I'm no help. You might consider posting on the High School board and see if you can stir up replies from those with firsthand experience.:)

I think you would be safe with using those terms to cover DM 1 -4. This gets talked about on the Singapore boards and it is worth reading over there.

http://www.singaporemaths.com/forums/showthread.php?2720-DM-Course-Descriptions&highlight=sequence

They also list information on their website:

http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Secondary_Math_s/16.htm

I am using NEM and I plan to use that as my course description prefacing with "Singapore." We are in an even "worse" fix because we somehow got a year ahead. So we are doing Trig and Pre Calc in 9th grade. My plan is to use some outside classes to justify that to colleges in later years. I also plan to include the NEM sequence chart found here (and it includes DM): http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/SSSecMath2008.pdf

Is DM new? Fi's doing NEM 1 this year. Is one series harder than the other? I moved on to Foerster's Alg 1 after NEM math with my older daughter.

DM is a newer program. It is generally suggested to folks new to Singapore because it includes teacher's guides with solutions throughout the program compared to NEM only having the first two years. It also is supposed to be more like the Primary math program and have more instruction.

NEM is thought to be somewhat more challenging although Jenny thinks DM has challenge as well.

Jenny has also indicated you could easily switch to DM in the first two years.

We've made it on our to 4A and will switch after 4A to DM's Additonal Math book (4B is review and I may bring it out closer to taking the PSAT/SAT). My oldest is not what I consider a "mathy" child but I do think he's bright but hey he's my kid and I love him :D.

My youngest will start in NEM and although I consider him more intuitive and strong in math he also is my resistant to school work child, so I may switch to DM if things get too stressful with NEM.

I think you would be safe with using those terms to cover DM 1 -4. This gets talked about on the Singapore boards and it is worth reading over there.

http://www.singaporemaths.com/forums/showthread.php?2720-DM-Course-Descriptions&highlight=sequence

They also list information on their website:

http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Secondary_Math_s/16.htm

I am using NEM and I plan to use that as my course description prefacing with "Singapore." We are in an even "worse" fix because we somehow got a year ahead. So we are doing Trig and Pre Calc in 9th grade. My plan is to use some outside classes to justify that to colleges in later years. I also plan to include the NEM sequence chart found here (and it includes DM): http://www.singaporemath.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/SSSecMath2008.pdf

Thanks for the links and info! Very helpful!