Menu

Trying to eat better but not support certain companies...

I watched "Food Inc". I am trying to change how we buy and eat food. I am trying to remember all the companies mentioned in the documentary but can't.

I know Tyson, Perdue and Smithfield were mentioned. I know there was another beef company, with the letters, but can't remember it.

Oh and the illustrious Monsanto. My dd13 checks everything for soy now. :D

Now there were a few other companies mentioned and I don't remember why. ConAgra was one of them I think. What was the deal with them? Besides processed foods that is.

I don't really want to watch the whole thing again just for this little tidbit. :)

Anyone watched "Food Matters" or "Ingredients"? Those were recommended to me as well.

It's really so much to try to remember. I go by the general rule that I don't shop the aisles, and I buy organic. That way, I don't have so many things to remember! :tongue_smilie:

I have lots of things that I buy repeatedly, my son has lots of food allergies, so we eat the same things over and over. I researched those companies and most of them were fine.

I think you are off to a great start, that movie truly is eye opening, isn't it?

:iagree: I tend to subscribe to the Michael Pollan school of thought on this: anything with more than a few, readily recognizable as food, ingredients is a "no" in my book.

There are obvious exceptions to this, though. Anything with cheese as an ingredient tends to have all the cheese ingredients broken out, so the list gets longer. Gluten free breads tend to have an extensive list because they use multiple types of flour for consistency, etc.